Like Tree11Likes

Work on HK island, live in new territories?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I know a woman that works in Pokfulam and lives in Tai Mei Tuk.....how the hell does she do it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I know a woman that works in Pokfulam and lives in Tai Mei Tuk.....how the hell does she do it?!?

I'm guessing by car..... and I'm guessing she works a 5 day week or less?? And I might also guess that she lives in a family village in Tai Mei Tuk and gets the housing for cheap, free??

I have some people at work that commute over an hour to work each day. The locals I work with would prefer to live near family and commute longer to work than vice versa.

You can also look around Tai Wai and Ma On Shan. You should look at the bus routes. Some places might be further away, but have a direct bus to the Queen Mary hospital. So you will have a seat on the bus and can spend the journey sleeping or reading the newspaper.

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I'm guessing by car..... and I'm guessing she works a 5 day week or less?? And I might also guess that she lives in a family village in Tai Mei Tuk and gets the housing for cheap, free??

I have some people at work that commute over an hour to work each day. The locals I work with would prefer to live near family and commute longer to work than vice versa.
    some larger villages ( not sure about nearby ting kok) have actually rural coaches going straight from village to tst and central every morning, cost more than bus or train, but it's hassle free

i know that tseng lan shue and lam tsuen have it, even fairview park which is strictly not a village.

Quote Originally Posted by cheepo:
    You can also look around Tai Wai and Ma On Shan. You should look at the bus routes. Some places might be further away, but have a direct bus..
    Which bus are you referring to from TaiWai or MaOnShan that passes in front of QMH ?

I only know of 970 and 973 from the dark-side and they dont go anywhere near Tai Wai nor Ma On Shan.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Which bus are you referring to from TaiWai or MaOnShan that passes in front of QMH ?

I only know of 970 and 973 from the dark-side and they dont go anywhere near Tai Wai nor Ma On Shan.
    I don't know. I am not saying there is a bus. What I meant is: don't just look at the location in a map, but also at the bus routes. Some places may be further away, but if there is a direct bus, it won't actually take so long to make the journey.

why doesn't the op consider staying over a weekend at lamma island ( i believe they have bed and breakfast places) and see how long it take to get to work

as well as the other places, but for QMH and from NT, there are few choices considering the distance and time, i believe my recommendation is far the quickest and most affordable and best of all more for your buck, ie, full 700 sq ft for HK$8000-9000 region

if you still considering an expat orientated area such as sai kung or gold coast, i believe you have to consider doubling your rent to HK$15-16k to get a least 600 -700 sq ft and commute longer

I don't know. I am not saying there is a bus.
    Oh, OK - I thought you were making some kind of specific contribution.
    What I meant is: don't just look at the location in a map, but also at the bus routes. Some places may be further away, but if there is a direct bus, it won't actually take so long to make the journey.
    There are 2 direct buses from further away. SoUk and TST. All other "further/cheaper" locations will require 1 or more bus/MTR changes to get to QMH.

I don't know. I am not saying there is a bus. What I meant is: don't just look at the location in a map, but also at the bus routes. Some places may be further away, but if there is a direct bus, it won't actually take so long to make the journey.

That is a good point. It is not always distance in km that matters. Take the actual bus/train where you are considering living a couple times and see for yourself what the commute is like. Even direct buses can vary in how many stops and loops etc.

I knew some flight attendents who lived in Sheung Shui...which would seem very inconvenient.......until they told me that the A43 bus goes direct to the airport and back, leaves every 15 -20 in and is pretty much a straight 40 minute shot.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    That is a good point. It is not always distance in km that matters. Take the actual bus/train where you are considering living a couple times and see for yourself what the commute is like. Even direct buses can vary in how many stops and loops etc.

I knew some flight attendents who lived in Sheung Shui...which would seem very inconvenient.......until they told me that the A43 bus goes direct to the airport and back, leaves every 15 -20 in and is pretty much a straight 40 minute shot.
    yes, a43 takes 40-45 mins from fanling/sheung shui to airport and is every 15 minutes, on the other hand, taipo airport bus takes over 1.20 mins to get to airport or the longest enduring bus journey ( i caught it once by mistake) from hung hom to stanley takes 2.30 hrs, the first 90 mins it's retro orbits parts of kowloon, never again!