Like Tree15Likes

Job Offer / Relocation Package

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thank you to everyone who replied, your feedback is greatly appreciated! To answer a few questions:

1. Not planning on kindergarten right away, but some time in the next 8-10 months we may think of putting him in some type of school where he can get immersed in Cantonese.

2. I am not a Yank (Bolivian) but I am a US permanent resident, and will be returning to the US with the same company in 18-24 months.

3. I will definitely look for something on the Eastern side, but am also considering Discovery Bay. We lived in New York previously so I know about commutes! Is there affordable rentals that are nice in DB?

4. Our family is conscious on eating organic foods, would this change where we would want to live? We know it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Your first 100,000k USD is not taxed by the US...HK only. I would still say that is a big benefit, even as an American.
    But not as much as the benefit to a non-American, hence the salary difference. I get a certain amount per month extra just for that reason (so long as I am subject to pay US taxes). Just something to be aware of...

If you think eating organic is expensive in the USA, it is like eating gold here. Yes, you can do it, but it is beyond expensive (to my thinking)....

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    But not as much as the benefit to a non-American, hence the salary difference. I get a certain amount per month extra just for that reason (so long as I am subject to pay US taxes). Just something to be aware of...
    Why on earth would a company do that? Surely it makes far more sense simply to employ a non-American at a cheaper rate?

4. Our family is conscious on eating organic foods, would this change where we would want to live? We know it's expensive.
    We eat a lot of organic food here, I wouldn't say it is that expensive relative to our food costs before we came here, if you know where to look. There are often specials at the Western style supermarkets. I find a lot of the fresh fruit and vege to be a waste of time though - it is air-freighted in and pretty much past it's shelf life by the time it gets in the supermarkets, so I buy frozen and grow a lot of green vegetables myself - window boxes and we have a rooftop which makes it easier.

There are some market style gardens in the New Territories and there is a company supplies locally grown organic vege to the Supermarkets. The Wet Markets here are full of lovely looking green vege, but they are price orientated, highly unlikely to find anything organic there.

Again it is down to what you are used to paying or prepared to pay. You can get pretty much whatever you want in Hong Kong, set your budget and work within that.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 18-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    darraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by darraya:
    2. I am not a Yank (Bolivian) but I am a US permanent resident, and will be returning to the US with the same company in 18-24 months.
    Make sure you have filed proper documents if you will leave the US for more than a year.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD
    Last edited by mingming; 18-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Well yes, but then the price for that set of skills, knowledge experience & contacts is the price for that set of skills, knowledge, experience & contacts. I don't see why the price should change because of the nationality of the person having those skills.

Indeed, so one would only employ Merkins if there were no people of other nationalities available, all other things being equal.

HK2A430 and Lootoo like this.

Completely understandable, and thus the reason why I want to ensure the full package is worth the move.

The reason why they want me rather than a local is because the end goal is to move back to Miami and open a similar business here, so they require someone with understanding and experience of the Miami market and how things are done in the US.

Thank you for the link... anything else I need to consider?