Like Tree1Likes

Email question - Mac and blackberry

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If its work related, can't your IT department sort it out for you?
    LOL. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    can't you convert your old emails to word or pdf file and save on bb's sd card? ie, convert 2010,2011 and 2012 email to word and save on sd card (that's why sd card is so important for mobile), freeing your bb email inbox space
    ?

I'm trying to get my NEW email syncing on the blackberry. I don't care about old email on the blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Not possible. solid state disc.
    how big is your ssd

M07... Mail on Mac has IMAP folder option. You can turn off the connection to ALL MAIL locally on Mac. However I am not in front of Mac right now and haven't done this option for a few years... But I'll check on it later (if I remember).

Otherwise google around for IMAP folder settings in mail.app

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    how big is your ssd
    128GB. I have been working with between 1 and 3 GB free for the last year or so - getting harder and harder! I had been unsyncing dropbox folders to make space, just keeping the ones I was working on in the drive, but it's untenable. Then I realised just how much of the drive was being taken up by mail. I don't need old mail on this machine (and solved that problem yesterday). But I DO need current mail (say, the last year's worth) but NOT several copies of it!

Quite why Gmail sets itself up so that I get multiple copies of the same mail is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    M07... Mail on Mac has IMAP folder option. You can turn off the connection to ALL MAIL locally on Mac. However I am not in front of Mac right now and haven't done this option for a few years... But I'll check on it later (if I remember).

Otherwise google around for IMAP folder settings in mail.app
    OK - let me google this one. When I searched yesterday the answer I got (from a few places) was to do it in gmail, but this would be MUCH easier......

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    OK - let me google this one. When I searched yesterday the answer I got (from a few places) was to do it in gmail, but this would be MUCH easier......
    I can't find anything about how to turn it off in Mac Mail. Everything I read tells me I have to turn it off in Gmail

OK - so I tried a number of the solutions suggested above.

From PIN: "Contact your IT dept". Well, we don't have one. But we do have a company we pay a monthly retainer to for IT advice, so I thought it was worth a shot. Sent them a long email explaining the issue (much as above) and their response was "can we send an engineer over to look at your blackberry?". FAIL.

From BaconBreadBaker: You can set it up in Mac Mail. Well I've googled this for over an hour and read dozens of apple forums and others. It just doesn't seem to be possible. SAD, I liked this idea.

So, I've fudged it. I've set up a brand new smartone blackberry email account and am copying my gmail to it, and it's go my gmail address as the "reply to" email. Its receiving email and it looks more or less correct on the recipient end (not quite normal, but ok). I guess that's the 90% solved that might just be good enough. Although my calendar does not appear to be functioning right either which could be more problematic

For anyone else who ever has a similar issue.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 30-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I've not much experience with Google Apps mail, but can't you access it via webmail?

There is an option within Mail that will not keep any messages on the Mac, or no attachments, or only messages you've read. Is that an option Moving?

It is possible to move the entire Mail library over to an external hard disk so you can save space on your Macbook Air, but it is a bit messy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I've not much experience with Google Apps mail, but can't you access it via webmail?

There is an option within Mail that will not keep any messages on the Mac, or no attachments, or only messages you've read. Is that an option Moving?

It is possible to move the entire Mail library over to an external hard disk so you can save space on your Macbook Air, but it is a bit messy to do.
    Not an option. As I noted in my OP, I need access to mail downloaded so that I can use it when travelling, on planes and in countries where internet access is too dodgy to rely on.
    Anyway, ONE copy of all my email in the last 18 months is perfectly fine ... it was the 2 (or in some cases, 3 or 4) copies that were causing the problem.