Like Tree391Likes

You think you're turning native when...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

- When you think fish in restaurant display tanks look delicious as opposed to beaten and suffering in misery
    - When you stab people in the eyeballs with your umbrella without a care in the world
    - When you clean cutlery or plates in restaurants like a murderer trying to remove fingerprints from the scene of a crime
    - When you cover your mouth in shame with one hand while the other digs food out of your rotten teeth with a toothpick
    - When you admit to being afraid of black people
    - When you realize you are consumed with hate for mainlanders and jealousy of westerners
    - When you can feel your mind closing in on itself tighter and tighter every day
    - When you think severed fish heads look like just the ticket for dinner
    - When you think you work hard play hard
    - When nature frightens you
    - When you wear snow jackets in the middle of summer
    - When you yell as loud as you can on the phone everywhere and anywhere
    - When you start wearing your stressful life circumstances and the stress of the city as a badge of honour
    - When you line up for an hour to throw a ball through a hoop to win a promotional sized packet of chips
    - When you become completely oblivious
    - When you love Manchester United but couldn't say what sport they played
    - When you charge people to come to your wedding
    - When you think Maxims cakes taste delicious
    - When you clap your hands, jump up and down and can't control your excitement at the sight of a bowl of soup
    - When you drink your beer through a straw

Last edited by d-28; 16-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I am open to try out picking my nose in public and clipping my nails on the mtr.
    That's fine as long as you cover your mouth when you've got a toothpick in there.

you stopping giggling at the 'cum' in official hk gov wording

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Missus and I use "la" a lot, so much so that I think it annoys locals.
    But I am open to try out picking my nose in public and clipping my nails on the mtr.

are you Asian? if so, do not do it.
    gary will use it against mainlanders.
    Last edited by forgetmenot; 16-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    d-28 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Your first thought when CNY approaches is to buy laisee packets and check when the banks are distributing new notes.

d-28 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Obviously it is just too easy for some to have a dig a local mannerisms...

It would be more interesting if people could post things they find themselves doing rather than things they find odd or dislike about the local way of life,

Unless HKITperson really does have a Hello Kitty phone straps...
    Well I've done the eating with chopsticks and swearing in cantonese part myself, at times without noticing it. And as one should, I mean, if you eat local cuisine, it's mighty inconvienient to eat with knife and forks. As for the cantonese swearing, you pick it up subconsciously, hearing it everyday on the bus and mtr. You just can't help uttering "Diu lai" and "Poke Gai" every now and then, hahah.

I only swear in Polish or Russian....kurwa being my favourite....I even have the tongue roll down, that's how often I use it!

Last edited by INXS; 16-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    are you Asian? if so, do not do it.
    gary will use it against mainlanders.
    I am at a bigger disadvantage there, I am brown..
    INXS likes this.

I should also add:

When you have to actively remind yourself that you are a non-native by starting a "you know you've gone native" thread, then yes, you are a native now!

When you go to a restaurant and before you take a seat, you examine where the air vents are cause wind blown directly to the head is know to give 'wind' and give headaches at night. (I usually take that seat for my in-laws with a smile as I'm often afraid of the heat)

Where you wipe every single drip of water off you after a rain cause wet and AC equals catching a cold for sure. Letting water dry naturally is also known to absorb into the skin and haunt you in your elder years with bone and joint aches.

When you're super mentally strong and willing to work/sit at your desk in front of the computer for 15 hours straight while being unwilling to take any physical stress such as walking up a flight of stairs (if forced to, show a face of dissatisfaction like God owes you big time for you going through this).

Finds TVB's crap-fest to be exciting and enticing.

When your only talent involves either using a DSLR, joystick, keyboard, mouse or phone.

You're a single woman who gather with other single woman and post your weekly gatherings and dinners on Facebook to let others know you're living a full and happy life despite being single at your 30's.

Where you spend half the time saying how cold the winter and it's blistering wind is. As well as asking your colleagues, aren't you cold and do you need a jacket?

When your impression of shaking hands is like the art of handling tofu.

Where eye contact in public is considered sexual harassment!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by GTI; 16-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    d-28 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast