Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Gotta love all of the deniers on here. You all know how locals look at brown and black people here. You should talk about how wonderful HK is to an Indian girl whom people get in an elevator with and block their nose with their fingers. Or the African guy who went to dinner with his Chinese girlfriend's family and ended the night without a girlfriend after the family told her that they would disown her if she didn't break up with him.

I do find the results for Aus and the US surprising, if the respondents were being honest, but I think ppl from these two countries have been taught not to answer this kind of question honestly.

nurse_maria likes this.

Before the 1960's the US was hell for people of color. It's much better now but anyone would be a fool to believe racism doesn't exist there anymore. It's just more subtle, now.

hongkongers may not want foreigners' as neighbours, but most of them have a foreigner [domestic helpers] inside their home..

nurse_maria likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:

I do find the results for Aus and the US surprising, if the respondents were being honest, but I think ppl from these two countries have been taught not to answer this kind of question honestly.
    Is that a fact, skipper

Australia and the USA may not be perfect, but they have worked hard to revamp their laws to provide all citizens equal opportunity.

Australia has some of the most tenacious anti discrimination laws in first world, especially in the work place. Lately the Aus authorities have been charging ( in the courts ) people who have been caught on public transport ( on camera ) who were being racially offensive to other passengers. Two very high profile cases were in the Australian media recently, over the past 3 months.

Nope, the majority of Australian people are honest about their answers and are inclusive about multi cultural society. The tiny ( Bogan/Redneck ) minority that aren't, don't matter in my opinion, a couple of bad drops of water, don't represent an entire ocean...

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

I am from Australia and I am white and I find people to be pretty casually racist in Aus. Most of the time it is a bit more subtle like the old "Asians are bad drivers" thing but sometimes it is pretty blatant like the "f*ck off, we're full" stickers that you see on half of the utes driving around.

Before I moved to HK I had a Singaporean girlfriend and on multiple occasions she would be ignored by staff at stores when she was trying to ask them for something and I have had the odd "how much?" comment from douche bags passing us. This stuff gets worse the further you drive out of the city centre.

I also worked at a call centre for an Internet company and the amount of racist crap you hear every day from customers that call up and get someone with a non-white accent (the customers never usually say anything when they get a South African or Kiwi accent) is pretty shocking. Particularly with customers from Queensland, WA and rural areas.

So I think racism is alive and well in Aus and those recent incidents are not a shock at all. I also think a lot of racist Aussies don't think that their attitude is racist hence they would not be honest when asked a blatantly racist question like "would you want people of other races living next to you", but sure would complain about their non-white neighbours if they have any.

Since you were raised in Australia, what is the typical cause of their behavior? For example, you can often trace back to your first & then recurring exposure of racist attitudes penetrating into school etc.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    I am from Australia and I am white and I find people to be pretty casually racist in Aus. Most of the time it is a bit more subtle like the old "Asians are bad drivers" thing but sometimes it is pretty blatant like the "f*ck off, we're full" stickers that you see on half of the utes driving around.

Before I moved to HK I had a Singaporean girlfriend and on multiple occasions she would be ignored by staff at stores when she was trying to ask them for something and I have had the odd "how much?" comment from douche bags passing us. This stuff gets worse the further you drive out of the city centre.

I also worked at a call centre for an Internet company and the amount of racist crap you hear every day from customers that call up and get someone with a non-white accent (the customers never usually say anything when they get a South African or Kiwi accent) is pretty shocking. Particularly with customers from Queensland, WA and rural areas.

So I think racism is alive and well in Aus and those recent incidents are not a shock at all. I also think a lot of racist Aussies don't think that their attitude is racist hence they would not be honest when asked a blatantly racist question like "would you want people of other races living next to you", but sure would complain about their non-white neighbours if they have any.
    Last edited by Creative83; 18-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.

My family migrated to Australia in the 1950's and helped build the NSW Snowy Mountain Hydro Electric Scheme..So yeah I probably see things from a very different perspective to you Meths. Especially as I was raised in Melbournes inner Western Suburbs, the HIGHEST concentration of migrants in Australia, back in the 1960's & 1970's. Wogs rule

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Since you were raised in Australia, what is the typical cause of their behavior? For example, you can often trace back to your first & then recurring exposure of racist attitudes penetrating into school etc.
    Growing up in a rural town a lot of it is directed towards Aborigines, probably from exposure to a lot of the alcohol abuse in the the Aboriginal community that hang around the town centre. A lot of it is from the stuff that parents say when you are a kid. Some of it is because a lot of Aussies dislike when immigrants don't completely assimilate to the "Australian way". These days a lot of it is because of this us vs them stuff that is all over the parliament and hence all over the news.

I don't think the younger generation (under 40s) are anywhere as racist as the older generations, but at the moment those 60-40 year old generations have a very big voice in Aus. So I think it will improve greatly in the next 20 years. The government isn't really helping at the moment though.
    Last edited by methosb; 18-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Creative83 and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    You can see it in the way aust. treats asylum seekers over the last 15-20 years. For around a billion dollars a year they are processed off shore when it's much much cheaper to do processing onshore. all for around 6,000 people a year....

the reason politicians allow this is it polls well and white australia exists well and truly in most part country aust.

Most is because these people with their racist attitudes don't associate or know other races or exposed to cultures. also low education has alot to do with it.

Public schools were traditionally white kids with a few italians, aboriginals, and very few asians. Teachings were based on European languages, history was european and Australian. Georgaphy was australian and world views. very little about foreign cultures and definitely not asian. Not sure about now and what is being taught.

It's sad really. the cities are full of cultural diversity but the country alot less though.

edit: Yes, very strong racist attitudes to the aboriginal community. It was so strong that most people avoided them completely. As a kid growing up I was in fear of them and told not to associate with them.
    Last edited by virago; 18-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Creative83 and chingleutsch like this.

My dad to use racist terms fairly often without realising that they were racist as well. I think that non-racist racism kind of perpetuates a bit in Aus as well.

An example was when those morons did the blackface Jackson 5 on Hey Hey It's Saturday and got in trouble because an American was on the show as a guest judge. A lot of Aussies were up in arms complaining how there was nothing wrong with it. A friend of mine was going on about it until I explained to him about minstrel shows in the US. After he understood the background of it he realised the problem and changed his tune.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast