View Poll Results: Should the HK Government Legalise Cannabis?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

25 35.71%
  • Yes. but with restrictions

11 15.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree178Likes

Cannabis Legalisation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Cannabis Legalisation

Before '97, a few of Hong Kong's top judges had pro-legalisation standpoints, but there was little interest from the local community. Some felt that this was because cannabis is considered a 'foreign' drug.

Last year, two Hong Kong judges again expressed support for cannabis legalisation here in HK.

http://www.scmp.com/article/83092/le...-top-hk-judges

At present, arrests for and seizures of cannabis are skyrocketing in the territory. Demand is soaring and there is no shortage of supply, and most of the consumers are now locals. While penalties for simple possession are fairly light (many get cautions or fines for their first offense), how does the Geoexpat community feel about defacto legalisation here?

aye! should be legal! all drugs should be legalised. no more war on drugs - it dont work!

LegalizeHK and cheepo like this.

At present, Hong Kong's supply is both imported and locally produced:

http://www.scmp.com/article/556424/h...factory-busted

The huge profits attract gangs who are often involved in other crimes, and like in Australia, Canada, the UK and the US, Vietnamese immigrants are being brought in to produce low grade commercial product. A regulated and taxed framework would remove the profit element for these criminals and also free up law enforcement's time for focusing on more important issues.

I never understood the logic of cannabis being illegal but tobacco being legal. I would decriminalise it.

LegalizeHK and shri like this.

alcohol also deserves a mention as it is legal and does cause quite some health issues.

make no sense that tobacco which is a massive drain on the health system was tolerated for so long, with well documented addiction and some severe consequences.

If usage was regulated and taxed it could be a huge boon to the economy, and also help out countries which grow it too.

LegalizeHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    I never understood the logic of cannabis being illegal but tobacco being legal. I would decriminalise it.

It's all about money. Why is Cannabis illegal and alcohol legal? Cannabis is far less harmful than alcohol....
    LegalizeHK likes this.

At present 18 US states permit medical use of cannabis, and cannabis has been part of Chinese pharmacopeia for centuries.

In 2010, a lawyer was discovered to be cultivating cannabis to help treat his generalised anxiety disorder and insomnia.

http://www.cdeclips.com/en/hongkong/....html?id=47344

Hong Kong, being one of the most advanced societies in the region, should definitely consider permitting the use of cannabis for medical use.

I personally do not use cannabis and never have, but I think the laws need to change!

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    It's all about money. Why is Cannabis illegal and alcohol legal? Cannabis is far less harmful than alcohol....
    The problem is, as with tobacco, that with alcohol one drinks alone and people around are not being forced to inhale cancerous and/or mind-inducing fumes.
    LegalizeHK and East_coast like this.

One of the funniest things I have seen in Hong Kong, was when I was getting some custom metal fabrication done in Tai Kok Tsui. While I was in the office discussing pricing and lead times over a detailed engineering drawing with the eldest son, ( in his 50's ) the 80 plus year old father was on the other side of the office taking a toke of his 3 foot long, bamboo bong... Quite a happy old guy I must say lol

It really was a pisser, and to be honest, the best metal fabrication workshop I've dealt with in HK, that actually delivered on time and produced precise, quality workmanship.

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Whatever, I have never gotten high from someone next to me puffing a j. Unless he offered me a toke! But I have had family members almost killed from getting hit by a drunk driver, who was alone...

Last edited by Dankleness; 29-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    LegalizeHK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast