View Poll Results: Do you wear a seat belt in a Taxi?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

26 70.27%
  • Only in the front seat

4 10.81%
  • Only on longer journeys

3 8.11%
  • Only if the kids are with me

0 0%
  • Other

3 8.11%
  • I never take a taxi...

2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree26Likes

Do you wear a seat belt?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Does anyone know at what age or at what weight is it good to use the seat belts with children and at what age/weight you are better off using nothing? I've heard for children under 3 it is better not to use a seat belt (though obviously a child seat is best).

As I like to quote to others that don't wear seatbelts: "Princess Diana maybe still alive if she had worn her seatbelt".

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I say, I say, I say, what do you call people who don't wear seatbelts?

Organ donors!

Ta da!

emx, Stu79, wtbhotia and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Yes always in taxis, and nearly always in minibuses. Never on big buses though for some reason.
    I don't know HK auto insurance and how court precedents have played out with contributory negligence (a mitigation to an award for injury claim) but where I come from up to 50% reductions in court awards routinely are gained by defending insurance companies where it can be shown the lack of a seat belt made injuries worse.

The lap belt in some minibuses is not that effective unlike a full belt in a passenger vehicle that is lap and shoulder so some belt wearing might not be that good in preventing injuries such as flying forward into the seat in front of you.

I am amazed on the bus seeing people with kids unbelted in the upper deck when since I have been here there were 2 IIRC killed that I heard of that went out the top deck window.

Usually I try to be belted up unless it's a quick jaunt.

I always wear one. It's the first thing I look for when hopping into a taxi, is whether there are functioning seatbelts.

It used to REALLY peeve me off back in Dubai seeing kids bouncing around in the car wearing no seatbelt. Unfortunately, it is ver uncommon along non westerners there. No racism implied, but reading the facts from accidents with child fatalities and also, the fact that wearing a seatbelt is enforced a strictly in western countries as opposed to non western.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

[sarcasm font]
    Buy a Mercedes. Apparently the windscreens of Mercedes will not cause any harm to the vehicle's occupants. Seat belts are completely unnecessary, all thanks to the amazing magic technology of Mercedes' glass... or it would seem so the adults inside them think.

Also FDHs are, apparently, impervious to any harm inside a vehicle. You may make sure your child is secure inside your MPV but your FDH doesn't have to wear a seat belt lest one's precious snowflake needs something, as no matter what your brat wants it is automatically more important than your FDH's safety.
    [/sarcasm font]

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    I will say that many drivers here have been fairly good, but I have had a few maniacs as well. I have heard many are on drugs?

By far, the worst drivers we have encountered so far in Asia have been in Thailand. Nearly killed several times while riding in taxis and Tuk Tuks. Caveat emptor.
    I'll see your Thailand and raise you a minibus in Cambodia. Overtaking other cars that were themselves overtaking.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Before the baby came along I never bothered, now I do. Though I worry more about the other road users (especially minibus drivers).than the car I'm actually in.

How parents can let their kids bounce around unrestrained here amazes me, especially considering how much they have 'invested' in them you'd think they'd be more careful to protect them.

In answer to the question about child seat belts - it depends on the height of the child.
    Seat belt alone: from around 9-12 years old;
    seat belt + booster seat: from around 4 years old;
    car seat: from birth to around 4.

Last edited by usehername; 10-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.

There was a recent crash a month ago where a dad was over taking an (illegally) stopped car and had a head on with a bus. Believe the van was a new Alphard; all but the 5 or 7 year old daughter survived. She had a seat belt on but it was either too loose and she slipped out from under neath and impacted the back of the driver seat or the belt was at a wrong angle and caused internal injuries during the impact. Some local papers discussed how child seats should be made into law... I'm more like if you need a nanny state to tell you what to do to survive then I'd say Darwinism no longer exists; you know child seats or buckling up in a taxi will make you safer and yet choose not to do it then any injury or death is on you. I don't need any more of my tax money going to the gov making another watch dog so idiots who choose to live dangerously will be forced to survive and pass on their genes.
    LOL god I sound mean and cynical

MovingIn07 and INXS like this.