Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Yes the practice is pretty pathetic really but there is always some gullible person that falls for this type of bullshit.

Next time you have a hard sell then walk away.

Never sign anything on the spot unless you have done your due diligence and know what the alternatives are.

As I always say, a good negotiation is your best next alternative.

Sent from somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    Separately, I think it's a matter of principle to at least try to do something about it like trying on the Small Claims tribunal, etc, rather than just sit there and do nothing
    You will fail. Better to focus your energies, in the future, to read the contract properly.
    Still I'm curious why despite being in the press, Cali hasn't been compelled to change their behaviour.
    Because what they did is perfectly legal.

I find your naivety quite amazing actually.

10 seconds of your time typing in "california" and personal training" into the search engine on this site would give you at least ten pages of threads on each topic. That's over 100 threads each.Just reading a few ofthem would have given you all the information you need to do business with one of the most morally bankrupt companies in Hong Kong.

Not just in HK either:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...california-wow

Last weekin Bangkok they were selling life memberships right up to the day they declared bankruptcy having transferred roughly HK$500 million out of the country. You have to love Eric Levine. Not.

To address a couple of your points:-

"I would advise that you call them and negotiate the rates over the phone.." It simply isn't going to happen.
    "Also always push for corporate rate for membership. "-also, not going to happen.

http://healthyhongkong.wordpress.com/hong-kong-gyms/ This site would have given you ballpark figures for membership, and it looks pretty accurate to me.

Personal training generally is in the range of $400 to $800 an hour depending on package. How much did you pay?

@MovingIn07. If it's not exactly news, why aren't people doing anything about this? What exactly do you expect? They offered you a service/product, you liked the price and signed a contract confirming the fact. The only area they " missold" you on was telling porkies about competitors rates which you should have known about if you did some research.

Another fact you should be aware of is that when the salesman has reached his quota, he is promoted to personal trainer. I have seen some who are worse than useless, and read that some cancel at the last minute or don't even bother to turn up. Complain all you like, they don't give a crap, they have your money.

Anyway, welcome to Hong Kong, and be aware that when you deal with estate agents here they don't always tell the truth. Have fun with PCCW too.

virago and arrowsmith like this.

Also don't take replies here personally!

It's all part of participating on a forum with a wide range of characters participating.

Generally everyone is very helpful, but fools are not suffered gladly.

P.S. The mobile phone company don't always tell the truth either. Read your contract very carefully.

Last edited by Cwbguy; 13-06-2013 at 07:38 AM.

I just hate the unfriendliness on this site. Who cares if a question has been asked hundred times before? Why bother responding with unpleasantness, just ignore it?

Last edited by mrdollars; 13-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.

It seems so many replies here touch on taking personal steps to prevent from being a victim of mis-selling which is fair point. Prevention is better than cure

What I find very intimidating is the level of attack on the victim by some - naive, gullible, "made a mistake", with a hint of "you're stupid and you deserve it, duh it's how this shit works" disdain. Where's the compass. Is it because you want the same right to rip somebody off when you get the chance?

Instead not many have come up with constructive suggestions on how we could address the issues of lack of consumer protection, change the situation for the better or how as a victim, I could seek redress from the mis-selling

@Cwbguy. I think if the comment touches on your "mummy", "wife", "kids" it gets personal alright, however metaphorical it might be

@ MovingIn07. I think the way you demonstrate awareness of the consumer protection situation is quite refreshing. Also I spoke to Consumer Council about cooling off period and learnt that amendment to incorporate this will be this coming summer which is encouraging sign

As for caveat emptor, I don't think it always creates a just environment for consumers who have been wronged. If this is a principle applied to the current law, a change is required

@mrdollars. I think you have a good point there. I just thought if I could stir a change of the way of thinking, I think I've made a difference, however a small. Anyway it's good to try to reason as it helps build my critical thinking skills. Sounds pretty lame and idealistic, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    What I find very intimidating is the level of attack on the victim by some - naive, gullible, "made a mistake", with a hint of "you're stupid and you deserve it, duh it's how this shit works" disdain. Where's the compass. Is it because you want the same right to rip somebody off when you get the chance?
    A compass is not a requirement for a contract. A fair contract was presented and you happily signed it and the legal conditions were fullfilled. The fact that you failed in your most basic responsibilities (reading and understanding the English contract) is not a reason to nullify it.
    Instead not many have come up with constructive suggestions on how we could address the issues of lack of consumer protection, change the situation for the better or how as a victim, I could seek redress from the mis-selling
    Consumer protection laws stipulate that the contract is accurate and reflect what is being represented. Have you found any faults in/with the contract in questions? If no, then you, as a victim have no avenue to redress. Chalk it up to a good lesson learned and dont repeat in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    I just hate the unfriendliness on this site. Who cares if a question has been asked hundred times before? Why bother responding with unpleasantness, just ignore it?
    I don't see what is posted here as being particularly unfriendly, but more a pretty accurate representation of real life.

If I had been with the OP in the pub and he had told me his tale of woe I would have told him directly, yes, you are naive and yes you have fucked up. He is five minutes in HK and he wants HK law to change. Good luck with that one.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Frankly speaking, I agree with mrdollars. In my opinion gruntfuttock (and all his former alter egos) has absolutely no manners.

mrdollars likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast