Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

PS -- I had many things happen like this to me when I moved abroad to different countries and then you want to blame it on "But I'm new here, I didn't know!" - but now you do, and that's the price of what you learn.

If someone on this forum is unnecessarily rude, you can just click their name, then click "Add to Ignore List" (like I did with movingin7).

has the OP paid? is it possible to somehow withold/cancel payment? it may be legally wrong but would be ethically correct. and if the small claims court is ignoring CF cases, then no problem.

Usually with Cali you pay up front. Either way I wouldn't recommend withholding payment although the news they're banned from small claims is food for thought!

I'm with the kid on this one. It's like we all said, first night in prison I got bum pressed, so your first night in prison you get the press too.

I remember the first time I join california, '98. It was my first job in hk, I was just a kid. the bloke said the joining fee was 10k but then he talked to the manager and got it down to 3999 for me. I paid up. After a couple of years i moved to tsuen wan quit california and joined a local gym, then in 03 i moved back to the city, joined california again. the sales guy tried to go through the same thing again. Been there done that so, george bush's quite about a fooled man getting fool again, it was still pretty aggressive, in the end I signed up to some PT just to get him off my case.

their sales tactics are appalling, i don't blame the staff so much as the company. it might make things better for those to come if once in a while someone like the kid stuck up his hand said i got the press it was awful there's no way anybody else should suffer that. Not everybody who lands in Hk for the first time is lucky enough to find this site, i know i wasn't

For those not prepared to read through six pages of posts I will, for the record, state that California gym is a scumbag organisation.

Look at how they behaved in Thailand before going bankrupt, and learn.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...california-wow

There was a gym in Taiwan where the owner pulled a similar stunt - and if I remember correctly people couldn't even get out of the payments that were linked to their credit card since it was considered part of the bankruptcy assets.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    For a help forum this place can be remarkably snarky and unwelcoming. I'm not saying you can't get good advice, some posters are remarkably knowledgeable and generous with their sharing but I just don't get the usual culprits ready to pounce on a noob and point out how stupid they have been. Why bother? Why not just ignore the thread instead of being a dick?

Because if they ignored the thread than they would miss out on a chance to appear superior and inflate thier ego....

Seriously, some people here have lived in Hong Kong so long that they are practically locals...and they wear that fact as a badge of honor and pride. There is also a bit of clique mentality, group think, sheepiness here as well...

I think there would be some demand for a expat site that consists of traditional expats that are here on a "work visa" and only here for a limited time. New expats come here expecting to share ideas with other expats and they get people who have lived here for 25 years....that is great for knowledge, but at times I think the long time permanent resident has lost touch or forgotten what it is like to be a new expat...

(and yes, if I don't like it, I know I could go hop on a plane and start my own geo site etc....)
    asianexpatinhk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Because if they ignored the thread than they would miss out on a chance to appear superior and inflate thier ego....

Seriously, some people here have lived in Hong Kong so long that they are practically locals...and they wear that fact as a badge of honor and pride. There is also a bit of clique mentality, group think, sheepiness here as well...

I think there would be some demand for a expat site that consists of traditional expats that are here on a "work visa" and only here for a limited time. New expats come here expecting to share ideas with other expats and they get people who have lived here for 25 years....that is great for knowledge, but at times I think the long time permanent resident has lost touch or forgotten what it is like to be a new expat...

(and yes, if I don't like it, I know I could go hop on a plane and start my own geo site etc....)
    Oh no...I don't to turn into one of those localised expats...I heard stories of some expats, having lived for a long time and would even berate/lament about other expats for not having the same work "ethics" as a so called stereotypical locals. Hope it's not too widespread

You don't have to agree with something (ie CalFit's practises) to know it exists. The problem is that newbies arrive in HK expecting everything to be "like home". It's not. Its different. I've been here nearly 6 years and I still make that mistake (like thinking supermarkets would sell washing up brushes, for example!). The only thing that changes as you spend longer somewhere is that you realise you are the problem and not the place you are visiting.

I think I've mentioned on here the story previously about my sister visiting Japan for the first (and only) time with her very young baby. She didn't bring any Yen and expected to be able to buy baby food and supplies with a credit card. Well, you can't in Japan. They take very few credit cards and not in local supermarkets. To this day she blames Japan for the problems she had on that trip, not herself for not checking these things out before getting on the plane.

If we say nothing along these lines, this forum would just be a "HK is awful because I couldn't buy a washing up brush" kind of thread - just a whinge. It's not. It supplies useful information to anyone who asks sensible questions. But if folks are foolish, well, why should we be kind to fools? Life isn't, generally.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast