Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...prise-you.html

Why am I not surprised?....maybe they talked to Gary too long
    The original article on Washighton Post has been revised (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ant-countries/)

HK and Bangladesh are both <29.9% but still worse than comparable Chinese majority countries of similar development stage like Taiwan and Singapore

Still I've been hearing a lot of stories of treatment of people of South Asian origin or even more hate on Mainlanders

The hate for the latter just puzzles me given HK acts mainly a gateway to the Mainland. Without Chinese money, HK will probably be just a wasteland, less significant than Taipei even

Sections of HK could seek to be more open minded, understanding and tolerant and perhaps take steps to soft-educate their Mainland visitors rather than just outright sensionalising, condemnation and criticism like in the local news (which I rarely read because its mostly so petty)

Quote Originally Posted by solidops:
    So tl;dr Hong Kong is racist and intolerant?

The US rejects racism because it has an extensive history of racism and as a multicultural nation it has moved forward, and they have enacted laws in an attempt to stop racism.

There is no record of racism in Hong Kong because historically (or before the English occupation) Chinese are the majority so nobody here discriminated each other based on race.

Hong Kong does not have anti-racism laws as strong as the US as mentioned above and because Hong Kong was once a colony of a foreign power. If you've studied any colonialism in college, you'll know European colonialism in the 19th century had undertones of racial superiority. Now if you really want me to prove this I can cite some basic Robinson Crusoe (groan). The Chinese were discriminated against by the English. How does one enact laws against racism, when the people who were in power set no example to follow? The British are credited with founding modern Hong Kong, and one thing the English never taught was "no racism" because they were the biggest perpetrators of it in Hong Kong.

So, in conclusion - Hong Kong people are pretty tolerant. Sure we might not want some people as our neighbors but that's garden variety discrimination. But one things for certain, we don't go selling other people drugs and declaring wars on them because we don't like them. Never have, never will. End of.

Don't think HK's colonial hang ups should somewhat lessen lamentable level of racism in HK. Look at SG for instance, probably more backward on free speech, sexual minority rights, etc but is a much more inclusive society (have observable non-Chinese cabinet ministers, just need to have the first non-Chinese PM too)

Also, why would you imply HK people are so weak minded that they are not as racially tolerant as they should because of their past colonial masters didn't show a good example. I'm sure HK people can think for themselves
    closedcasket likes this.

So tl;dr Hong Kong is racist and intolerant?

So, in conclusion - Hong Kong people are pretty tolerant. Sure we might not want some people as our neighbors but that's garden variety discrimination. But one things for certain, we don't go selling other people drugs and declaring wars on them because we don't like them. Never have, never will. End of.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...-fans-1.320011
    virago and kimwy66 like this.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...-meth/1871996/

Good one LegalizeHK. That should literally KO solidops' sweeping statement argument. Haha. People should really think before making sweeping statements, cos there are always exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    Also, why would you imply HK people are so weak minded that they are not as racially tolerant as they should because of their past colonial masters didn't show a good example. I'm sure HK people can think for themselves
    Are you aware colonization has long term effects? Colonialism doesn't just end when the perpetrators decide to pull out after they've finished inside whatever country they've occupied. During colonialism, the English were in power and set an example for the rest of Hong Kong to follow. This means Hong Kong people do not understand how to be "tolerant" or understand racial relations because they were oppressed against. So implying the average Hong Kong citizen does not know they are being intolerant isn't that crazy of a claim because they've experienced intolerance and have no education to help them identify it!

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Did you forget what happened in the Philippines with the hostage situation? Were you so blind to local culture you did not see the backlash of the Hong Kong community? I'm not saying it was right, but it's what happened anyway.

There's NOTHING in the article that says the two Hong Kongers sold drugs because they were racist against Australians/intolerant of the locals. Did you even read the post? Are you following the discussion? Or did you forget to take a hit this morning, bro?

But if you want to be a smartass (who failed to prove anything) and play the "I can't argue so let me just link something that looks like it could refute a very small part of this guy's argument", I can play this game ALL day. While still pertaining to the discussion. And can refute your entire argument too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Opium_War

Do you want more?

There is little to no proof of Hong Kong's intolerance. Hong Kong & China however, are living PROOF of the English's intolerance.

A quote from Karl Marx regarding the English Opium War
    ``It would seem as though history had first to make this whole people drunk before it could rouse them out of their hereditary stupidity.''

Marx even argued that the Chinese had a disposition for opium:

``The Chinese, it is true, are no more likely to renounce the use of opium than are the Germans to forswear tobacco.''

Wow! Look at the amount of tolerance! Power overwhelming!!~

2 little guys dealing meth? HA! How cute! It's like a lemonade stand...but for adults!

Good one LegalizeHK. That should literally KO solidops' sweeping statement argument. Haha. People should really think before making sweeping statements, cos there are always exceptions
    How can you "literally knock out" an argument? You're just dumb.
    Last edited by solidops; 15-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Are you aware colonization has long term effects? Colonialism doesn't just end when the perpetrators decide to pull out after they've finished inside whatever country they've occupied. During colonialism, the English were in power and set an example for the rest of Hong Kong to follow. This means Hong Kong people do not understand how to be "tolerant" or understand racial relations because they were oppressed against. So implying the average Hong Kong citizen does not know they are being intolerant isn't that crazy of a claim because they've experienced intolerance and have no education to help them identify it!

Did you forget what happened in the Philippines with the hostage situation? Were you so blind to local culture you did not see the backlash of the Hong Kong community? I'm not saying it was right, but it's what happened anyway.

There's NOTHING in the article that says the two Hong Kongers sold drugs because they were racist against Australians/intolerant of the locals. Did you even read the post? Are you following the discussion? Or did you forget to take a hit this morning, bro?

But if you want to be a smartass (who failed to prove anything) and play the "I can't argue so let me just link something that looks like it could refute a very small part of this guy's argument", I can play this game ALL day. While still pertaining to the discussion. And can refute your entire argument too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Opium_War

Do you want more?

There is little to no proof of Hong Kong's intolerance. Hong Kong & China however, are living PROOF of the English's intolerance.

A quote from Karl Marx regarding the English Opium War
    ``It would seem as though history had first to make this whole people drunk before it could rouse them out of their hereditary stupidity.''

Marx even argued that the Chinese had a disposition for opium:

``The Chinese, it is true, are no more likely to renounce the use of opium than are the Germans to forswear tobacco.''

Wow! Look at the amount of tolerance! Power overwhelming!!~

2 little guys dealing meth? HA! How cute! It's like a lemonade stand...but for adults!

How can you "literally knock out" an argument? You're just dumb.
    Solidops. Let me just start by saying, I empathize with the strong feelings on your case. I won't point out the fact some of the above quotes were actually rebuttals to some of your lines of arguments. You might disagree, it's fine

Also agree that colonialism has a lasting impact. One of which is the worship of the white race as shown by the contemporary notion of beauty. Also, I'm sure the fair minded lot will side with China as a victim. Return of HK to CN also a case example, whereby UK relented on the Chinese argument the opium war treaties were unfair and the Chinese were forced to sign HK off in perpetuity to the UK. Other CN will only get back NT. of course, CN's emergence as a superpower also helped thatcher to concede

But still don't you think it's time to move past that, share new ideas and let the world evolve as it's always been doing?

Having said all that, I think it might be worth for you to consider opposing view points such as domestic worker rights associations, HK human rights activities who found to include protection against discrimination at work place, etc

I found that, a number people on geoexpat in general are here is just to win a debate and for winning the debate alone. This is said as the true winner is someone who's gain new perspectives from learning of opposing and alternative viewpoints

Keep your mind open

Also to whoever started the thread, can we change the title because the original article in Washington Post has been corrected?

HK is no longer "dark red" racist, just "light red racist" (though still a shade racister than Mainland, and a lot more racist than its arch rival Singapore) - according to the article of course

Lets be fair to the "HK is always right" crowd

chris_yang22 likes this.

But still don't you think it's time to move past that, share new ideas and let the world evolve as it's always been doing?

Having said all that, I think it might be worth for you to consider opposing view points such as domestic worker rights associations, HK human rights activities who found to include protection against discrimination at work place, etc

I found that, a number people on geoexpat in general are here is just to win a debate and for winning the debate alone. This is said as the true winner is someone who's gain new perspectives from learning of opposing and alternative viewpoints

Keep your mind open
    After one century of pillage, rape, cultural oppression, atrocities and all of a sudden you want "move on"?

Maybe one day when my people sell drugs to your people, FORCE you to take it, then VIOLENTLY suppress your refusal to do so, LOOT your country, PUT DOWN your people, TAKE your land and then leave you WEAKENED for a century or so, maybe I'll "move on". Maybe then I'll consider leaving the past behind and "move on" to bigger and better things. Just maybe.

Also, the only people qualified to tell another people to "move on" are the Germans. The only country from the last century to admit, denounce and learn from their atrocities in the past. I have an immense respect for the Germans for doing so. Maybe that's the reason why they were able to beat the English down rightfully during WWII.

My mind is always open to hear how western powers can make up for their past actions to China.

Lets be fair to the "HK is always right" crowd
    No, NO!!! Keep it! So the "I've never experienced any sort of racism in my life" group of expats will be happy! This is their forum, we should cater to them!!
    Last edited by solidops; 15-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.

After one century of pillage, rape, cultural oppression, atrocities and all of a sudden you want "move on"?

Maybe one day when my people sell drugs to your people, FORCE you to take it, then VIOLENTLY suppress your refusal to do so, LOOT your country, PUT DOWN your people, TAKE your land and then leave you WEAKENED for a century or so, maybe I'll "move on". Maybe then I'll consider leaving the past behind and "move on" to bigger and better things. Just maybe.

Also, the only people qualified to tell another people to "move on" are the Germans. The only country from the last century to admit, denounce and learn from their atrocities in the past. I have an immense respect for the Germans for doing so. Maybe that's the reason why they were able to beat the English down rightfully during WWII.

My mind is always open to hear how western powers can make up for their past actions to China.

No, NO!!! Keep it! So the "I've never experienced any sort of racism in my life" group of expats will be happy! This is their forum, we should cater to them!!
    I think you feel very strongly about your points. It's a good thing, at least you're passionate about something rather than being apathetic about everything

Personally, I haven't experienced much racism in HK. Maybe it's because I don't appear to be in the groups that perceived to be easier racist targets, maybe. exception of course, in the dating world (some non Asians not into me because I'm Asian, some Asians not into me because in Asian - not perfect but still tolerable and these people are so few)

So I guess I'd probably not be as persistent as some of the crowd that appear to disagree with you. I think the other group is "HK can be a bit racist sometimes" crowd

Would you ever think of initiating a move to take HK's and Mainland China's case to international courts? Maybe settle the injustice once and for all, seek redress. Probably quite far fetched for many, but main seem to serve your points in a more constructive way

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast