Like Tree97Likes

Beware of California Fitness. Please advise

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by asianexpatinhk:
    Yeah but the problem was it didn't occur to me that I should ask them to confirm the validity of their quotes. I thought they were decent enough human beings. Even the guys at PCCW were not like that and wouldn't give me fake quotes etc

Going off tangent, I remember seeing a post from someone putting PCCW in the same gang as Cali. I think it's not true and they have very polite customer service (over the phone) and have been transparent with their prices for broadband etc....
    ummmm.... pccw are notorious for doing exactly the same thing....

So it's a trick = not ethical = not acceptable
    But not illegal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Gruntfuttock and HowardCoombs like this.

So to sum it all up.

You didn't do any research. You went to the first gym you saw and took there word that competitors pricing is true.

You signed and now you regret it.

not being nasty, just a question....

whether or not the prices they gave you for someone else is correct (it isn't their job to give you details about a competitor.. it's your job to find out yourself), they gave you a price and you agreed to it. i can't see how they ripped you off. you had every opportunity to walk out and consider the offer, to walk across the street to the competitor and check it out but you didn't do that until after you signed the contract.

i can understand you being upset. i agree that their sales tactics are unethical. what i cannot agree with is the victimisation. you are not a victim. you willingly signed the contract, right? it's just that now, you are having buyer's remorse... i could be wrong, but i think you are as much angry with yourself for having fallen for it as at them for their behaviour.

*hubby and i still talk about the time i bought WAYYYYYY over priced perfume from a guy in egypt. it really pissed me off. i could see myself getting dragged into it... but i felt powerless to stop it. in the end, i got suckered. i wasn't so much pissed off at the guy as i was at myself for succumbing to it! it took me a couple of days to get over myself and look back at the incident as something i'll be able to tell my kids about in the future.

Last edited by carang; 15-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    virago, MovingIn07 and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    So to sum it all up.

You didn't do any research. You went to the first gym you saw and took there word that competitors pricing is true.

You signed and now you regret it.
    They gave slightly inaccurate information therefore it's wrong therefore you should be allowed to back out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Last edited by pin; 15-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Jeez mate, get over it!!! You screwed up. Just learn from it and move on rather than harping on and on and on....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    not being nasty, just a question....

whether or not the prices they gave you for someone else is correct (it isn't their job to give you details about a competitor.. it's your job to find out yourself), they gave you a price and you agreed to it. i can't see how they ripped you off. you had every opportunity to walk out and consider the offer, to walk across the street to the competitor and check it out but you didn't do that until after you signed the contract.

i can understand you being upset. i agree that their sales tactics are unethical. what i cannot agree with is the victimisation. you are not a victim. you willingly signed the contract, right? it's just that now, you are having buyer's remorse... i could be wrong, but i think you are as much angry with yourself for having fallen for it as at them for their behaviour.

*hubby and i still talk about the time i bought WAYYYYYY over priced perfume from a guy in egypt. it really pissed me off. i could see myself getting dragged into it... but i felt powerless to stop it. in the end, i got suckered. i wasn't so much pissed off at the guy as i was at myself for succumbing to it! it took me a couple of days to get over myself and look back at the incident as something i'll be able to tell my kids about in the future.
    You're entitled to your own view and appreciate for demonstrating some empathy on my feelings. Woulda shoulda is easy to say

Whether I was willing or not, the bottom line is I was lied to by every persistent and aggressive salespeople. Maybe you should study the case of PPI misspelling by banks in the UK. All those people "willingly" signed for an insurance based on false information, threats by their mortgage and loan bankers / brokers. Now justice is served as banks have to payout billions in fines and to compensate the victims. That's right victims of PPI scandal

Based on your logic however, there's no such thing as a victim of aggressive dishonest selling as anything short of someone pointing a gun to your head is considered "willing"

It's you lot like cwbguy who are harping on and on with your attacks and condemnations since I don't agree with your "you got conned, so what?, just learn, move one, bow your heads and do nothing" attitude
    ummmm.... yes. they did nothing against the law. it was you, yourself, who should have done due diligence. you've never heard, 'if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is'?

and no.... it is not the other posters harping on... with all of the complaints about california fitness floating around, it wouldn't have taken more than about 15 seconds to find out about their dodgy business practices.

if you were hoping to "raise awareness" i think you have discovered that people around HK pretty much are aware of these biz practices. if you are hoping to change the rules, yeah, i don't think you are going to get very far. i salute you for trying, but as they haven't done anything illegal, don't think it's going to happen.

and no, i have no idea what you are talking about PPI? i have never been to the uk, i do listen to bbc, but that is about it (even though i have a uk passport)... sorry
    bibbju, HowardCoombs and elle like this.

Whether I was willing or not, the bottom line is I was lied to by every persistent and aggressive salespeople.
    Let me be blunt : I dont believe you. I believe that you are honest but you are misremembering things. Here is why:

I've been in hard sell situations before and I've seen their tactics. Unless they have been badly trained, they do not lie. They stretch, they skirt, they omit but they do not lie.
    They use words like "the competitor charges around xxxxx", "the competitor's list price is yyyy", "the competitors starting price is zzzzzzz" and other similar sentences without telling you the exact market price.

I think you heard what you wanted to hear and now you are relating a faulty story.

Let me give yor some free advise. Don't ever accept one of those offers of free hotel Accomodaton in return for attending a 'short presention!

CF does not come close. And these guys operate globally.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app