Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeoYunny:
    Hiking? Great for building upper body strength too I guess as I'll probably be lugging around a gallon of water with me to combat dehydration. Junk trip sounds good...
    about 1 litre per hour of expected hike is right.

What happens when you hike is that the first few weeks (assuming hiking 1 or 2 times per week) are awful and you wonder why you are doing it. But then your body starts to adapt to the conditions, and by the mid/end of summer it's much more comfortable. You don't get that adaptation sitting in a shopping mall. Or on a junk trip.
    HowardCoombs and CBC922 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    You can try carrying a mini fan with you, that should be helpful.
    Something like this....
    Almost too scared to put that near my face... especially as people are always pushing and shoving in HK!

Beer. Afternoon showers. And learn all the aerial walkways and subterranean tunnels so you can places while staying out of the heat. You can't beat the heat, but you can minimize your exposure to it.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2013/02/2...-city-on-foot/

GeoYunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoYunny:
    Had a chat with fellow members at the GeoExpat Happy Hour last night about surviving my first summer in HK, and looks like it’s not just me who’s dreading the hot, sticky weather! Any tips on how to survive the humidity besides hiding away in air-conditioned shopping centres and blowing every penny on ‘window shopping’?
    Leave Hong Kong for two months....32 hours and counting

Alternatively, make use of the numerous and very nice public swimming pools, or the beaches. Brand new pool just opened in Kwun Tong, looks great.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I've had heat exhaustion in Hong Kong so I do whatever I can to avoid even getting vaguely close to that again.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I've had heat exhaustion in Hong Kong so I do whatever I can to avoid even getting vaguely close to that again.
    Heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke which can be fatal. Knowing the signs are important (and all of us keen hikers are usually very aware of it in summer!).

It's usually associated with activity of some kind though.
    INXS likes this.

fold your t shirt halfway up your body exposing your belly. Many locals like that. Or if you can remove t shirt completely. Best not to do that while in a meeting or inside.

I also now wear an undershirt you can get from many stores like Uniquo for around $70 each. Figure hugging and cool it is good for soaking up the sweat so you don't look like a hobo when you eventually go inside.

INXS likes this.

Take off all your clothes, you'll feel much better

Please don't go ice skating, whoever said that. I need my already non-existent space.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke which can be fatal. Knowing the signs are important (and all of us keen hikers are usually very aware of it in summer!).

It's usually associated with activity of some kind though.
    I was taking the usual precautions but came on very suddenly. I know it can lead to heat stroke, which is why I told my companions to be ready to call 999. I've upped my precautions. Fucking scary!
    Fiona in HKG and INXS like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast