Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    No, it's still a tropical depression, hasn't even made it to storm, and nowhere near a typhoon.
    That is depressing.
    kimwy66 and auss like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

This is all we'll get.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Just to advise. I set up this thread for the several of us on here who are amateur storm watchers. No need to expect Super Typhoons every time I post...My pleasure came from calling the storm long before any of the official outlets....Obviously I would enjoy watching if it became a typhoon, and it still might!

Watercooler and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    No, it's still a tropical depression, hasn't even made it to storm, and nowhere near a typhoon.
    This might be a shock to you, but tropical storms can change in strength and severity .
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    This is all we'll get.
    Want to bet on that?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Just to advise. I set up this thread for the several of us on here who are amateur storm watchers. No need to expect Super Typhoons every time I post...My pleasure came from calling the storm long before any of the official outlets....Obviously I would enjoy watching if it became a typhoon, and it still might!

I'm English. I'm genetically predisposed to talk about the weather.

It is commonly observed, that when two Englishmen meet, their first talk is of the weather; they are in haste to tell each other, what each must already know, that it is hot or cold, bright or cloudy, windy or calm." Samuel Johnson (1758)
    INXS, vmlinuz and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Yes, I expect there will be more typhoons this season too. That's my prediction.
    Watercooler and INXS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Want to bet on that?
    Fuck no! I'm usually between 1% and 100% wrong on these things!
    Watercooler and INXS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Fuck no! I'm usually between 1% and 100% wrong on these things!
    You are probably right about the heavy rain prediction, but what I meant was that there might not just be rain, the forecast storm, whether it is strong or weak, may throw some...unexpected curveballs at HK in addition to just rain.

As an example, there might be a few tornado/watersprouts thrown in with the rain as well.

Tropical storms often produce such watersprout and tornadoes as it hits land. The rainbands in these storms sometimes have what's called a "mesocyclone" in them. This is basically a vortex of air within a storm. And it was theorized that the friction of the land partially cause these column of spinning air to descend from the clouds onto the land/surface, hence creating the twister. Granted, these mesocyclones are usually weaker in tropical storms than in a supercell (a very powerful thunderstorm that is the main culprit for tornadoes in non-tropical storms), but it's still potentially quite dangerous and destructive.

Speaking of which, as I look out across the southern horizon, I can see it is darkening with the first big rainband approaching. Still some distance away right now, but it will probably bring some rain later today. Maybe nothing serious, but as INXUS said, it's cool to observe weather.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 21-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Tropical Storm Bebinca

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast