Like Tree468Likes

Typhoon Season 2013

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Tropical Storm Bebinca
    http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_fixarea_e.htm

Sucks that it's coming over the weekend though.

There is a thunderstorm coming through.

You heard it first from Geo News Flash!

Watercooler likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It seems quite wide.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    There is a thunderstorm coming through.

You heard it first from Geo News Flash!
    Yup, that's the first of the rainbands I mentioned earlier. Been observing it since it appeared on the horizon this morning and watching it as it comes gradually closer to HK.

It's not that often you can actually see that rainband coming from a distance in HK. Sometimes you can (like today), but often times you cannot. Because when a tropical storm is in the area, the skies becomes quite hazy (as the wind draws air from the north-where all the polluted mainland factories are!). Not until it's really close (i.e about to have a downpour) do you notice it.

So either we are lucky today or this storm isn't strong enough to draw that much air from the mainland or the air pollution has been reduced up north. Which one is it?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 21-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    So either we are lucky today or this storm isn't strong enough to draw that much air from the mainland or the air pollution has been reduced up north. Which one is it?
    The wind is a east or northeasterly direction in last few days. But I'm no weatherman.
    INXS and Watercooler like this.

The wind is a east or northeasterly direction in last few days. But I'm no weatherman.

True, the wind is northeast the last few days, but for the storm, it curves the wind so that it will become from a more northernly direction, it should still draw air from the mainland (and that explains why it's so hazy when a tropical storm approaches HK). Maybe this circulation is small enough...I have no idea.

My wild guess is that the wind from the northeast has clear the skies, and this storm, being relatively weak, does not have that strong circulation to draw much air from the north as a stronger storm or typhoon would.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 21-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.

True, but if it is northeast, it should still draw air from the mainland (and that explains why it's so hazy when a tropical storm approaches HK). Maybe this circulation is small enough...I have no idea.
    No it's a northeasterly direction so going towards Shenzhen. Also an offshore wind.

I originally typed southeasterly but changed it.

As I said, I'm no weatherman....

as weather experts you probably know already, but I'm blond and naive and need someone to open my eyes. so did a local friend and send me this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_C_Lik-cheung

now we know why T8 can only be expected on weekends!

INXS and Watercooler like this.

No it's a northeasterly direction so going towards Shenzhen. Also an offshore wind.

I originally typed southeasterly but changed it.

As I said, I'm no weatherman....
    Yes I can see you are no weatherman, since you got your wind direction terminology all mixed up!

I think it's more proper for you to say southeasterly wind. When you say wind direction, usually the standard is to refer to the direction where it came from. So if the wind is easterly, that means the wind blows from East to West, or if the wind is southwesterly, then it blows from the southwest towards the northeast, etc.

This will help eliminate alot of confusion and head-scratching.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 21-06-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Yes I can see you are no weatherman, since you got your wind direction terminology all mixed up!

I think it's more proper for you to say southeasterly wind. When you say wind direction, usually the standard is to refer to the direction where it came from. So if the wind is easternly, that means the wind blows from East to West, or if the wind is southwestly, then it blows from the southwest towards the northeast, etc.

This will help eliminate alot of confusion and head-scratching.
    ok, noted.
    Watercooler likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast