Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast

Oh dear. How old are you? 14? So young to have such big chips on your shoulder... Did a white girl turn you down for a shag or something?

usehername and kimwy66 like this.

Well according to your logic, we shouldn't care what happens to chinese people in australia because we're not chinese people in australia, so why do you keep going on about it?

Discussing racism in Hong Kong is disrepectful to those who have to face real racism. Try to walk as a dark or yellow skin guy in certain areas of east Germany. If you make it back home alive, you'll be very happy about Hongkong's "racism".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by Azuremain; 21-06-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    solidops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    Discussing racism in Hong Kong is disrepectful to those who have to face real racism. Try to walk as a dark or yellow skin guy in certain areas of east Germany. If you make it back home alive, you'll be very happy about Hongkong's "racism".
    I find this attitude quite offensive. As already discussed on this thread, there are other areas in the world that are arguably more racist than HK (or perhaps less racist but the racists in these areas are physically aggressive) but racism is still racism and in any form it is WRONG. I actually think the racism in HK is worse as it is insidious and many locals don't seem to even realise they're being racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Ah, the old 'it could be worse' arguement. Fortunately not everyone thinks like you or we'd all still be living in caves.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Well according to your logic, we shouldn't care what happens to chinese people in australia because we're not chinese people in australia, so why do you keep going on about it?
    ...because I am Chinese Australian?

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I find this attitude quite offensive. As already discussed on this thread, there are other areas in the world that are arguably more racist than HK (or perhaps less racist but the racists in these areas are physically aggressive) but racism is still racism and in any form it is WRONG. I actually think the racism in HK is worse as it is insidious and many locals don't seem to even realise they're being racist.
    You think being violently attacked by multiple attackers on basis of race to be worse than passive aggressive racism? That's just being disrespectful and dumb.

The argument that "racism is racism" is seriously flawed. Being called a bunch of names, ignored on the street (racism towards whites in HK) is different than being held back from job positions, having a negative image and being stereotyped like Asians have to face in the West.

"Racism is racism" is unbelievably stupid and misinformed. That's like saying a punch from a two year old is the same from Mike Tyson because "a punch is a punch". You're making a blanket statement over something that varies so much between individuals. You're showing that you do not understand and have not experienced intolerance and racism in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Ah, the old 'it could be worse' arguement. Fortunately not everyone thinks like you or we'd all still be living in caves.
    Your responses are getting tired. Making copout statements that have no relation to this thread does not a good argument make. Just stop.
    Last edited by solidops; 21-06-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidops:
    You think being violently attacked by multiple attackers on basis of race to be worse than passive aggressive racism? That's just being disrespectful and dumb.

The argument that "racism is racism" is seriously flawed. Being called a bunch of names, ignored on the street (racism towards whites in HK) is different than being held back from job positions, having a negative image and being stereotyped like Asians have to face in the West.

"Racism is racism" is unbelievably stupid and misinformed. That's like saying a punch from a two year old is the same from Mike Tyson because "a punch is a punch". You're making a blanket statement over something that varies so much between individuals. You're showing that you do not understand and have not experienced intolerance and racism in your life.
    The huge chip, nay potato, on your shoulder seems to be clouding your judgement. You have no idea whether I have experienced racism or not but you're jumping to huge misinformed conclusions on the basis that you've had a tough time as a Chinese Australian and seem to think no-one else has experience of this.

I know quite a few Westerners who are on the receiving end of racism at work right here in HK. Less competent local staff promoted above them because senior management have to be seen to be pro-Chinese. Exactly what you say Asians go through in the West applies to Westerners right here in HK. I've seen some appalling examples of racism (and sexism) at work in HK.

But my actual concern is racism full stop rather than any specific ethnic group's experience whereas you appear to be solely focused on your own ethnic group (or just yourself) and don't really give a damn about anyone else. My boyfriend is black British and wants to move to HK to be with me but I don't think it's fair to put him through the racism he will experience in HK just because of his skin colour. We have both been on the receiving end of racism in Europe (from both the black and white communities) but it's nothing compared to the appalling racism I see HKers dishing out to anyone who is brown or black here.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Sounds like someone wishes he was born white or was a 'sheltered expat'.

You know most expats are here because HKers don't have the skills and need foreigners to do it for them or they are here because they can earn mega dollars. Maybe you are just jealous. Who knows.

I'll give you some advice from uncle Virago, forget about your prejudices, work hard and one day you may get the rewards like us.

Sent from somewhere....

bibbju and dermotp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by solidops:
    ...because I am Chinese Australian?
    So what? You said we shouldn't care what brown skinned people experience because we're not brown skinned. So why the f should we care what you experienced if we're not chinese australian.
    Last edited by usehername; 21-06-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:

Racism exists everywhere...the least racist countries make a point to actively search out and publicise racist activities...where as Hong Kong tries to ignore/hide the problem.
    Yes, racism exists everywhere, but I don't know if there is a "least racist" country. It's a different kind of racism, although more subtle. Treating minorities as handicaps or dependents, is not necessarily a "lesser" form of racism.

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast