Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Most discrimination I see here are towards Mainlander and brown people. What I also do see is Indians typically do not feel victimized by it. Mainlander, when they sense it, will fight back. At first, I perceive Indians here as generally more enlightened, but I also wonder if it has anything to do with just not trying to escalate and worsen the situation.

Locals have more experience with Filipinos, so I wouldn't know how much of it is dislike due to bad experience versus actual discrimination. One thing for sure is locals and brown people don't socialize with each other, so there's no way for them to get to know each other to begin with.

There's once a half Chinese half Indian guy in his early 20s who tells me his dad (Indian) told him about the hierarchy of skin color, and it goes from dark to light - light being the higher class. I thought about what his dad said and agreed that's how the world seem to perceive it.

He got quite offended by my acknowledgement though I'm merely just acknowledging how things are in fact being perceived. I'm guessing the younger the person is, the more they'll want to fight it.
    That light to brown skin hierarchy is unfortunately true. Nobody in east Asia wants to have darker skin...look at the adverts on TV, everything is about whitening! If only people cared about whitening their teeth and not their skin...

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    According to solidops you shouldn't care about racism against any other race but your own because it doesn't affect you.

Presumably he would apply the same logic to child abuse, sex trafficking, animal cruelty etc

Let's hope for his sake that by the time he reaches adulthood he will have grown up.
    How can I care about racism to any other race when I am the victim of it? You don't understand racism if they've never been truly discriminated against. I may feel empathize towards others that are being discriminated against, but there's nothing I can really do about it.

Also, have you felt any racism in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by solidops:
    How can I care about racism to any other race when I am the victim of it?
    Wah wah, poor you. Maybe if you stopped being so utterly self absorbed you would realise that the problem is racism itself, not simply the fact that you used to have problems when you lived in australia. The fact that you have experienced this kind of discrimination first hand but don't give a s. about anyone else says a lot about you. Given that you face no discrimination now in hk, you could use what you've experienced overseas as a reason to speak out on behalf of those who are discriminated against here.

But no.

'You're not brown skinned. So why should you care?'

Pathetic.
    justjoe86, TheBrit and jgl like this.

I have experienced discrimination in Hong Kong because I am white. We used to live in a village where they often had Poon Choi parties, we were not invited in the beginning and were advised that it was because I am Gweilo.

I was also stopped from renting a shop on Lam Tei High Street for the same reason.

Gweilos are constantly overcharged for goods and services and often obscenely so...

We face stereotyping, westerners are like this, westerners are like that.....

I have heard that some Chinese people in our village believe that it should be for Chinese only....no Gweilos or Indians.......me and Javed are routinely asked to move our cars because that patch of road is Mr. Wongs or whatever!! Fortunately there are too many of us for them to dare bother our cars, unlike To Yuen Wai where I had my tyres done a few times.....a problem that goes away when you pay to park on the designated patch of government land.....

At the end of the day, I earn more for less and they all seem to have a miserable scowl wedged into the bottom of their faces so I just laugh at the bitches..."Move your car!" .......I say "Call the police!".......or "Sorry, no speak Chinese", even though they are speak Engrish....makes them hop!!

Maybe it's racism that makes them miserable.......please shoot me if I ever end up with the miserable scowl that most HKers seem to wear most of the time....

Azuremain and dermotp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:

I have heard that some Chinese people in our village believe that it should be for Chinese only....no Gweilos or Indians.......me and Javed are routinely asked to move our cars because that patch of road is Mr. Wongs or whatever!! Fortunately there are too many of us for them to dare bother our cars, unlike To Yuen Wai where I had my tyres done a few times.....a problem that goes away when you pay to park on the designated patch of government land.....

I heard of and saw the aftermath of one of these village altercations between Gweilo and Village people, in Clearwater Bay very recently. 2 gweilo owned vehicles have had industrial strength paint remover poured all over nearly every single body panel, pretty much writing off both cars as scrap. The damage was pretty severe, it even melted door handles, door mirror surrounds and both front and rear bumpers ( plastic ).

The police obviously took an incident report etc but doubt anything will come of it unless they catch these shit heels in the act.

So yeah, there is a percentage of racism in the more hardcore Chaozhou 潮州 controlled villages in the NT, even Hongkies will tell you that this particular group are a pretty nasty kettle of fish.

They're quite prevalent in the Sai Kung district in some infamous villages that are to be avoided unless you're a masochist, or a very tough unit willing to go to war with em.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 27-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Yeah, Solidhead is a bit jaded with whities and how good they get it and because he had some knobheads in Australia give him a hard time.

Boo hoo! Sniff Sniff!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I heard of and saw the aftermath of one of these village altercations between Gweilo and Village people, in Clearwater Bay very recently. 2 gweilo owned vehicles have had industrial strength paint remover poured all over nearly every single body panel, pretty much writing off both cars as scrap. The damage was pretty severe, it even melted door handles, door mirror surrounds and both front and rear bumpers ( plastic ).

The police obviously took an incident report etc but doubt anything will come of it unless they catch these shit heels in the act.

So yeah, there is a percentage of racism in the more hardcore Chaozhou 潮州 controlled villages in the NT, even Hongkies will tell you that this particular group are a pretty nasty kettle of fish.

They're quite prevalent in the Sai Kung district in some infamous villages that are to be avoided unless you're a masochist, or a very tough unit willing to go to war with em.
    Weasels. Cowards.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I have experienced discrimination in Hong Kong because I am white. We used to live in a village where they often had Poon Choi parties, we were not invited in the beginning and were advised that it was because I am Gweilo.

I was also stopped from renting a shop on Lam Tei High Street for the same reason.

Gweilos are constantly overcharged for goods and services and often obscenely so...

We face stereotyping, westerners are like this, westerners are like that.....

At the end of the day, I earn more for less and they all seem to have a miserable scowl wedged into the bottom of their faces so I just laugh at the bitches..."Move your car!" .......I say "Call the police!".......or "Sorry, no speak Chinese", even though they are speak Engrish....makes them hop!!

Maybe it's racism that makes them miserable.......please shoot me if I ever end up with the miserable scowl that most HKers seem to wear most of the time....
    It honestly sounds like YOU moved into THEIR village and did NOT follow THEIR rules.

You are clearly at fault here, even as a local if I did not their rules I would expect the same treatment. Antagonizing the villagers will not help your future in that area.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. For some reason, every white person seems to be born the with inability to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by v@g1na:
    did not read lol
    ok buddy

Quote Originally Posted by solidops:
    It honestly sounds like YOU moved into THEIR village and did NOT follow THEIR rules.

You are clearly at fault here, even as a local if I did not their rules I would expect the same treatment. Antagonizing the villagers will not help your future in that area.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. For some reason, every white person seems to be born the with inability to do this.

ok buddy

What are these 'rules' you speak of? laws?

Skyhook likes this.

Gotta laugh at this guy getting all defensive about "us locals" being discriminated against. The locals see you as a foreigner just like other overseas raised Chinese and us expats.

virago and INXS like this.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast