Like Tree2Likes

Good Interview Questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Good Interview Questions

Please can you give me ideas on questions for a second interview in HK with regards to salary, pension, maternity leave, holiday etc. For example some companies pay 13 pay cheques, something I wouldn't have known about until it was mentioned in a first interview that I had which effects the amount I may ask for. I am from the UK so I would like to be aware of things that might work slightly differently here. I don't want to appear ignorant. Cheers!

well, i believe bank holidays in HK amount to 14 days (could be wrong though). The rest can vary greatly depending on the type of job and profile that it is... I say to use your discretion and loosely compare it to back home, and what you would expect.

Also, asking about working visas and how they proceed wouldnt be a bad idea.

good luck

Thanks, out of interest - if a Bank Holiday lands on a Saturday or Sunday is it carried over?

DAQUIRI - You r entitled to at least 7 days paid holidays,all the bank holidays off.
    Some company will have medical covers, 13 months wages, bonus, more paid-days off etc etc
    I mean...some probably cannot offer what the Uk can offer but be sure u can get as much as u can!

to my knowledge, most bank holidays are not exact dates, but rather periods of time... and if it is an exact date it is usually given to you in the form of a friday (saturday if you work that day) or monday.

someone please correct me if i am wrong on this though.

Mina917 - 7 days hol? I thought none for the first year, except Bank Hols, then 7-14 days the norm...? Another question, I understand overtime isn't usually paid? Can anyone tell me if it's correct most people just work very long hours as the norm?...I am a Graphic Designer.

Daquiri>

(1) Employees in HK are entitled to have the miminum 7 days holiday (excluding Sunday & public holidays), which is under the Employee Ordinance. So, if the company grants you less than 7 days, you can sue them. (7) days sounds really mean but don't be surprised if your company really offers you this (Jardine, such a big employer, starting annual leave is (7) days!! Although normally, most employers give more, say (12) days. And, the number of annual leave you enjoy sometimes depends on your title & years of employment in the company. i.e. Manager gets more days than the junior clerk; you may be granted one more day after, for example, 3-year employment in the company - it depends on the company's employment policy - no law binding.

(2) Bank Holiday means "you are off when the Bank is off". Basically, it means public holiday (those days marked in red on calender) plus the Saturday afternoon. However, some companies are on 5-day work (monday to friday) - largely depends on what industries you are in.

(3) As for the 13-month pay, it is kind of "Chinese" thing (people use that extra month's salary for paying tax or preparing 'red pocket' money for the Lunar New Year) That's why some people get into trouble with tax if they don't have the 13th month salary when they don't have any savings in the bank. In the old days, most companies in HK guaranteed the 13th-month salary, however, since the economic regress in 1997, some companies changed this policy and make it into "BONUS", which means, they don't have to give it to you if they don't want to. So, you have to read/ask carefully if the 13th-month salary is a 'guarantee' or a 'bonus'. Of course some companies do offer 14-month salary!

(4) Pension: MPF is compulsory, normally, you contribute 5% of your salary and your employer contribute the same amount. I guess someone working in the Human Resources can give you a much better details on MPF, as I am not expert - I only know I have 5% less from my salary every month!

As for the annual leave, I have experience that some companies do not allow their employee to take annual leave for the first year of employement - their reason is: the company's policy states that employees are only entitled to annual leave of the last year. However, as there are (7) days annual leave bound by law, the company will give you so-called "emergency leave" for the first year up to 7 days. Honestly, I do really see the logic & point there but it's just for your reference.

Not too sure about the maternity leave though, by law, 2- days I guess. But my present company (UK-based) offers 12 days; whilst my first employer (a Japanese company) offered 3 days!!!!

Do HK people normally work for long hours??? Personally speaking, in my working life, my answer is "NO". Perhaps it is because of my industry (general insurance)... but I attribute it my work ethic - I have to spare some time for myself - don't want to be a work slave. However, as I know some people (especially in I.T. industry or accouting field, they do work over 10 hours a day). So, it depends on (a) your industry (b) who is your boss - if your boss is workaholic and he hates people leaving on time, you have to beware!

(if anyone spot something wrong above, please correct!)

Last edited by Jessica Adams; 02-08-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    tifbs likes this.

Well it was mentioned above to check the medical plan, you can never have too much coverage, for yourself and hopefully your dependants. You can ask how much if your time you'll be expected to travel, perhaps?

WRT maternity, I believe the Ordinance is 10 weeks, hopefully someone can confirm, its hopefully more than a few days!!

WRT 13+ months, it really depnds on whether the position is standard or commission based, how much you expect to have at the end of the year is more important, whether you divide that by 12, 13, 14 is just the monthly paycheque.

If it is possible, I'd recommend also check the leaving conditions. A bit difficult to bring up during the interview, but check the contract to see if you're bound to any unreasonable notice period. 1 month is standard, but I have heard of 3 months!

Also, some companies require a probation peroid (usually 2 months). You get paid your salary, but your benefits (medical, life insurance) don't kick in until after the 2-month mark, once they have decided you are a suitable candidate for the job.

Definitely ask your potential employer about advancement opportunities within the company.

Maternity leave: I believe it's 10 weeks as well, but something like you get paid one-third of your monthly income? Not really sure.

During probation you can get fired without notice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast