Like Tree21Likes

Wild pigs/boars on the island

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone up for a bacon-hunt?

Titus likes this.

To the OP: what you saw on your hike to Stanley could very well have been wild boars. In the wooded area across the street from Ma Hang between Cape Road in Stanley and Stanley Gap Road, there are a number of wild boars. There are also wild dogs, and last year, the two groups clashed, sparking police intervention at 1 in the morning as the dogs had apparently managed to kill a boar either in the middle of the road or on the sidewalk. Either way, there are some feral creatures in those woody areas, and they are certainly a hazard for those who hike or run through those areas. Perhaps Hong Kong's Government should get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes:
    Either way, there are some feral creatures in those woody areas, and they are certainly a hazard for those who hike or run through those areas. Perhaps Hong Kong's Government should get rid of them?
    What? Why on earth would you want to suggest that? Most of us view wild animals on hikes as an attraction rather than a hazard. It's great to see that something can still survive even on HK island.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes:
    To the OP: what you saw on your hike to Stanley could very well have been wild boars. In the wooded area across the street from Ma Hang between Cape Road in Stanley and Stanley Gap Road, there are a number of wild boars. There are also wild dogs, and last year, the two groups clashed, sparking police intervention at 1 in the morning as the dogs had apparently managed to kill a boar either in the middle of the road or on the sidewalk. Either way, there are some feral creatures in those woody areas, and they are certainly a hazard for those who hike or run through those areas. Perhaps Hong Kong's Government should get rid of them?
    That is where I think I saw the sign about the boars - Ma Hang.

Boars leave alone but not sure it is good to just leave wild domesticated dogs running wild like on Cheung Chau. Not sure why they don't something about that on that island. I did wonder about wild dogs as once on the bus from Sai Wan Ho to Stanley I saw dogs (may have been tame) up on the rocks one day a ways before Tai Tam. I was curious if wild as they were on the part of the road I couldn't see someone with 4 or 5 dogs up there hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    This story/video is from last year:

Video: Wild boar charges cameraman in Hong Kong - Telegraph

Edit: Sorry, that was Sha Tin. There was a news story recently about a wild boar on the island.
    that video was so funny, they are pretty useless when it comes to handling this types of situation, the poor camerman had to treated for his scratchs because he fell over. WTF Haahaaa
    Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What? Why on earth would you want to suggest that? Most of us view wild animals on hikes as an attraction rather than a hazard. It's great to see that something can still survive even on HK island.
    I'm with the animals on this one. Leave them be. Cows, bulls, monkeys, pigs, boars as well as snales along with the miriad of smaller creatures belong there. The hikers and runners are the ones intruding into their territory and should be more careful.

HC
    Titus likes this.

I remember seeing one while I was hiking on a trail in shatin area, can't remember the exact location but yes I saw it

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that while searching for the actual highest point of Mount Parker this weekend, we found an area really mucked up by boars. It was after the station/end of the road, where you can just barely go on an over-grown path for about 20 mins to get to the top. Thankfully we didn't see any (we tried to make a lot of noise to scare any away), but the scuffed up trail/ground was definitely fresh! There were also some fresh broken branches.
    Any tips for what to do if ever coming across them unexpectedly?

Run.

10 chars