Like Tree5Likes

I'm coming to HK!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

All, you can easily get a shared flat for 5/7K on HK island.

It may not be what you guys (professionnals in your 40ies - ie Virago, Moving..) would accept but remember you were not always 40+ with $.

As I said, we have many temps, short term contract who do it, year in year out....and they are having a blast in HK!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    All, you can easily get a shared flat for 5/7K on HK island.

It may not be what you guys (professionnals in your 40ies - ie Virago, Moving..) would accept but remember you were not always 40+ with $.

As I said, we have many temps, short term contract who do it, year in year out....and they are having a blast in HK!
    Depends who is left holding the lease.

Actually Mat, my rent is under 6k a month and in Kowloon. I made the decision a 120 square foot place is all I need. A 60's block and from the outside looks pretty bad but once you get in the apartment it is fine.

Yes, sometimes it seems to small but it is rare.

Sent from somewhere....

If you don't mind living with someone who might have strange interests or ulterior motives than by all means, find yourself a flatshare. We tried it out the first couple of months we were here and although it does cut the rent in half on the island, it's a total crap shoot. The particular place we found was situated in an ideal location and had a great price. Once we were there for a while, we discovered the flat was infested with roaches and the person we lived with literally emptied half a can of Raid on one roach, making life totally miserable. To top it off, she used the extra room as sort of a side business to make money off of expats. Not by charging higher rent, but by tacking on all these extra charges like cleaning, supplies, and other shit. Bottom line is: caveat emptor!

If you're curious, here's what you can expect for about HK$6,000 a month:

Latrotech likes this.

Another couple of sites you can use when looking for flat shares are http://hongkong.kijiji.com.hk (formally Gumtree) and https://www.locanto.hk

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Actually Mat, my rent is under 6k a month and in Kowloon. I made the decision a 120 square foot place is all I need. A 60's block and from the outside looks pretty bad but once you get in the apartment it is fine.

Yes, sometimes it seems to small but it is rare.

Sent from somewhere....
    Meant Watercooler oups

By the way, that apartment you saw in the video...that was the one we rented.

Also, to be fair, it wasn't all bad. The building had an elevator, and our roommate did show us around and introduce us to her set of friends, so that was nice. I just really couldn't understand the monthly cleaning (the place was so small she didn't need to pay someone to clean it), and the roach thing was a real downer.

Last edited by chris_yang22; 30-07-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Bottom line OP, if you want a decent place to stay in HK, 6K is not going to cut it.