1 year unlimited mobile broadband?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1 year unlimited mobile broadband?

Hey guys,

My girlfriend has just signed a contract for a flat in Sai Kung, but she's only in Hong Kong for a year to do a master's degree at CityU.

Unfortunately, being in Sai Kung, the only option for landline based Interwebs is PCCW and they are terrible, slow, incompetent and expensive.

I've scouted the place with my 4G enabled phone and it receives 3G well and 4G in certain locations.

Are there any 3G or 4G unlimited data-only contracts that are only one year? Are they any good?

Cheers.

If you don't need a new phone then yes one year contracts are readily available otherwise it's usually two years if you want a phone.

They're fine, stick with the usual 3 and Smartone and you'll be ok

I have china mobile 3G plan, I think last year, I signed a one year contract and its fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_funny:
    I have china mobile 3G plan, I think last year, I signed a one year contract and its fairly cheap.

may I know which is the best plan, telco?, i will be in HK from 1 year(study)

School: PolyU
    Live: HK Island

thank you

I have not compared with other carriers, but you can try china mobile, they have unlimited 3G plan for just under 100 bucks. and also at university you will have free access to wifi, I guess.

I use SmarTone $68 per month, pay as you go. No contract so you can terminate the service whenever you want. Please note 3G only, so no 4G LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_funny:
    I have not compared with other carriers, but you can try china mobile, they have unlimited 3G plan for just under 100 bucks. and also at university you will have free access to wifi, I guess.

thank you Jane... I looking at SmarTone $68 per month with a 3k deposit (refundable)

Quote Originally Posted by poonworld:
    I use SmarTone $68 per month, pay as you go. No contract so you can terminate the service whenever you want. Please note 3G only, so no 4G LTE.
    thank you poonworld, i read about the smartones $68 + $12... no tethering ;<
    is it worth the money...for facebook, whatapps, skype..

Last time I checked there weren't many unlimited data-only contracts and almost none that are 12 month.

Smartone has an "unlimited" plan, but throttles your speed after 5GB and is 18 month contract
    http://www.smartone.com/jsp/mobile/m...lish/pcmac.jsp

Pre-paid is an option. You'll have to look around - http://www.three.com.hk/website/appm...10594&lang=eng

I-cable isn't available? Try calling them up and insisting that you only want a 12-month or month-by-month plan. They will be very reluctant to give it to you, but you should be able to get it if you are persistent.

Do NOT trust anything the sales guys on the street say. Especially if it starts with "Don't tell the company this, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by tommyquek:
    thank you poonworld, i read about the smartones $68 + $12... no tethering ;<
    is it worth the money...for facebook, whatapps, skype..
    For you I would recommend you look at New World Mobility, $60 + $12, INCLUDES tethering, unlimited data, 12 month contract, slow 3G speed but fine for mobile youtube, skype with video, whatsapp, etc. But I would not recommend this for the OP if he is after a fast home broadband replacement.
    Last edited by bdw; 14-08-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast