Like Tree6Likes

UK-Based Digital Marketer Who Wants to Move to HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    ethnicity is not even unique skill, plus, plenty of brits, Canadian, yanks, aussies here.

in regards to british aspect, there is a significant number of british born Chinese here ( hence, native English speakers)

why not consider asking around fortune 500 companies for links to HK jobs as your best luck of finding a job, BTW, do you have a degree as well?

alternatively, if you willing reduce your wage request, do a tefl course in UK and start afresh, native speaking English tutors are in demand and eventually become a real teacher with pdge if want decent wages
    I only mentioned my ethnicity to highlight the fact I was a native English speaker as it seemed to me someone earlier needed clarification on this point, not because I thought ethnicity was a unique skill. What I thought was unique was being a native English speaker combined with my specific experience... that's unique?

I want to continue my career in Digital Marketing as there is a much higher chance of career progression in marketing and potential to make a lot more money higher up the ladder.

I'll definitely have a look around and see what's about. Thanks for the advice!

Are you looking for a client side or agency-side position? Do you have a degree? Do you have any unique skills that would not be available from the local labour pool? Speaking English would not be sufficient in the industry you are looking to, and not speaking Cantonese / Putonghua will be to your detriment so you need something else to bring that makes you unique.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalReality:
    I only mentioned my ethnicity to highlight the fact I was a native English speaker as it seemed to me someone earlier needed clarification on this point
    So just to be clear, you believe that being white is both sufficient and necessary for a British citizen to be regarded as a native English speaker?

Just for the record, the highest paid freelance English Teacher I know is a Brit of Sri Lankan descent. She commands a minimum of HK$600 per hour, and has more potential customers than she can take on.

What's all this talk about English teachers got to do with Digital Marketing?

Sent from somewhere....

Original Post Deleted
    All I can say is that I have several British friends who aren't white and who are making good money teaching English. None of them has encountered any issues that I'm aware of because of the colour of their skin. I suspect this is because they are good at what they do, and that it is not inconceivable that other people who are crap at teaching English use the colour of their skin as a convenient excuse.

Personally I prefer to base my opinions on my actual experience rather than hearsay on anonymous internet forums. However, it is clear that there are those who value such hearsay, which is why I continue to offer it!
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 19-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    So just to be clear, you believe that being white is both sufficient and necessary for a British citizen to be regarded as a native English speaker?
    That's not exactly what I said, is it? You're twisting my words a bit there... as I said, there was some confusion before about the fact... please read up ^

I am form London (again, I did say this) which is one of the most multicultural cities in the world and am well aware that there are other ethnicities in the UK who are native English speakers - I am friends with a lot of them.

I am not on here to argue... but to get some advice.

To me, it sounds like you're looking to be offended, but, if not, and I have offended you, I apologise. :/
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Are you looking for a client side or agency-side position? Do you have a degree? Do you have any unique skills that would not be available from the local labour pool? Speaking English would not be sufficient in the industry you are looking to, and not speaking Cantonese / Putonghua will be to your detriment so you need something else to bring that makes you unique.
    Hi,

I am looking for client-side work as I have no experience working in agencies just with them.

I don't have a degree but I am just about to find out the results of a post graduate diploma in digital marketing and I have five years experience working on a lot of high profile projects. My CV is pretty good and there's a lot of experience on there that isn't easy to come by.

I don't speak either, but I heard that a lot of people who work there don't either, so I was hoping that this wouldn't be a show stopper!

Thanks for your help!

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks for some well-needed common sense! As I said, my ex gf is Chinese and native to Hong Kong... so kinda knew about that.

I'll probably get moaned at for saying that all native people in Hong Kong are Chinese next!

Original Post Deleted
    Such a shame as I don't really want to change my career as I really enjoy what I do. I have seen one digital marketing role that the employer is willing to sponsor a visa for on here so maybe I'll get lucky. Fingers crossed!