Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

I'd say HK is more xenophobic than racist. They distrust or are prejudiced against foreigners or just anyone who isn't from Hong Kong. At the individual level I've seen this is also the case until they start interacting with those foreginers.

Racism in Hong Kong is primitive and straight forward. Wanna see how messed up race relations are in America? watch this:

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I'd say HK is more xenophobic than racist. They distrust or are prejudiced against foreigners or just anyone who isn't from Hong Kong. At the individual level I've seen this is also the case until they start interacting with those foreginers.
    This would be true if there attitude to foreigners was the same wherever they came from but it is not. Do you really think they treat whites and Filipinos the same?

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    This would be true if there attitude to foreigners was the same wherever they came from but it is not. Do you really think they treat whites and Filipinos the same?
    I don't think it is the same but I then I think the difference isn't strictly due to a race issue, it's a class issue also.

They consider Filipinos and Indonesians to be of a lower social class because the majority or them are DH. The opposite is true for whites.

Has anyone known a Chinese girl whom had a black boyfriend and took him home to their parents. I have known two. In both cases the family told the girl to dump him or be disowned. In both cases the guy was of a much higher social class than the Chinese family. One was African royalty and one was a wealthy businessman.

I don't buy that lower social class perception crap. It is a simple case of Chinese looking at dark skinned people as lesser humans. Straight racism. You want to see the true colours of non-westernised Chinese families; bring home a black guy.

They consider Filipinos and Indonesians to be of a lower social class
    and that is not racism?
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Depends on how you define racism. You could argue that by calling HK/Chinese people racist, you are making a racist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbaby:
    You have never been the victim of true racism. Or you wouldn't attribute racism to the list above.
    Don't move the bar by adding "true". Besides I wouldn't be surprised if your true racism starts out from the racism I mentioned. For example, take away the law that says companies in the US should not discriminate based on race when hiring and see what happens. Maybe you should you ask those they won't be hired because of the color of their skin and how they feel about that and when they get abused fighting for equal rights.

But of course they shouldn't try to fight for equality in the first place because it isn't true racism according to you and therefore calling the White employer's racist would really be offensive to them. That of course would be worse than allowing the employers to hire based on their racial preference.

You should be very careful calling other people racists. It's just as offending as being a racist. Even if you are "implying." It also belittles the struggle of those who really had to endure true racism and its impact on their lives, freedom and families.
    Right, so we should not condone certain forms of racism because they don't meet your criteria for "true racism". Sorry baby but I am afraid you indirectly support racism with that view but I am not sorry if that offends you.

A preference for who's your drinking buddy should not be a basis for you to determine a whole society and its members are racists.
    If I refused to drink with people of a certain race (because of their race) that would make me racist, not them or their society.
    If I refused to drink with a particular person of a certain race however it would not make me racist (e.g. if I don't like the guy because of his demeanor, not because I don't like him because of his race).

Do you understand that difference?
    Last edited by Raccon; 05-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    HKITperson likes this.

Depends on how you define racism. You could argue that by calling HK/Chinese people racist, you are making a racist statement.
    If I had called HK people racist then that indeed could be construed as a racist statement but what I actually said was a large percentage of the HK people are racist.

I don't think it is the same but I then I think the difference isn't strictly due to a race issue, it's a class issue also.

They consider Filipinos and Indonesians to be of a lower social class because the majority or them are DH. The opposite is true for whites.
    I think it goes further than that, ask most local kids... and they would think that darker skinned Asians are inferior. Many actually associate skin color with actual intelligence.
    HKITperson likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast