Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Has anyone known a Chinese girl whom had a black boyfriend and took him home to their parents. I have known two. In both cases the family told the girl to dump him or be disowned. In both cases the guy was of a much higher social class than the Chinese family. One was African royalty and one was a wealthy businessman.

I don't buy that lower social class perception crap. It is a simple case of Chinese looking at dark skinned people as lesser humans. Straight racism. You want to see the true colours of non-westernised Chinese families; bring home a black guy.
    I do. My friend is in her late 20s and her black BF has been in prison, and is definitely from a lower class than her, but her parents love him to bits.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I think it goes further than that, ask most local kids... and they would think that darker skinned Asians are inferior. Many actually associate skin color with actual intelligence.
    And where do you think they base that opinion from?

I'd put it down to HK people not quite being racist (the majority) but close, because of how defensive they view their own little pocket of identity. Relatively, HK doesn't have a long history, but in that short span of time, it's been under the rule of many other governments. They have their little identity and will fight tooth and nail (or rather bitch down to races) to keep it.

It's not just races HK people deem as a lower class, when the white man's back is turned, there's contempt from the locals.

It's like a passive-aggressive thing they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I'd put it down to HK people not quite being racist (the majority) but close, because of how defensive they view their own little pocket of identity. Relatively, HK doesn't have a long history, but in that short span of time, it's been under the rule of many other governments. They have their little identity and will fight tooth and nail (or rather bitch down to races) to keep it.

It's not just races HK people deem as a lower class, when the white man's back is turned, there's contempt from the locals.

It's like a passive-aggressive thing they do.

But then the HK does not deem white people as lower class and the contempt is more out of servitude and jealousy. Not racism. The fact that they do that behind their backs is also a sign of not wanting to upset people they deem of superior race and/or their masters.

Whereas... they will show open hostility in both words and expressions to Blacks or browns and to show who is really boss. The same applies with attitudes to Mainlanders. They would stand on the Grand podium and lecture them on social values. But the social values and attitudes of Africans and Indians are actually higher than Hong Kongers in some cases.

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with being defensive about their own identities. They simply view their identities, values and outlook being on par with the West but get frustrated because simply they are not accepted. They then have to take it out on someone.

In one of the forum posts, some younger Chinese wants independence to be part of the UK and US. Now that isn't really trying to form one's own identity but rather ape what they perceive to be their betters of superior standing. Would they fight tooth and nail if for any reason they were in the arms of the USA, Australia, UK or Canada? But what happens if that country is the Philippines (a democratic country), Japan (democratic country), Malaysia (a democracy) or the largest democracy in the world India?... but the answer is obvious.
    Last edited by HKITperson; 05-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.

I hope that one day, Hong Kong can be truly cosmopolitan with people of different races able to take up Government roles. I hope also that schools and workplaces have different people of ethnicity working and studying together and HK then is a truly International City.

Bigotry and prejudices have no place in modern society. I see a number of Indians on this board and it is marvelous because everyone is equal and everyone is free to form an opinion. However, the time for change is when you are also allowed to express the same on the local boards without a barrage of racist insults.

Given that I employ and respect women, why should I be forced to employ people who follow books that say it's okay to treat women as property and beat them?

Some people of certain faiths believe that I am an infidel and should be killed, unfairly taxed, have the tips of my fingers cut off and so on.

Why should I have to put up with having somebody like this in my office. If they hate me, how can I trust them. If they follow their god's teachings, it's their duty to undermine me.

If these same people say, "Oh, I'm a moderate, I only believe in the happy magic bits of my book!", why should I have any obligation to trust them?

For example...

I'm going a bit off topic here but I'm curious to get views on this.

Always slightly disturbed at the way 'liberals' seem to live in a fantasy bubble......I support equality for women, as do liberals, but liberals support the rights of certain women hating religions....I don't get it.....are liberals just stupid?

Last edited by INXS; 05-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    vikulya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    But then the HK does not deem white people as lower class and the contempt is more out of servitude and jealousy. Not racism. The fact that they do that behind their backs is also a sign of not wanting to upset people they deem of superior race and/or their masters..
    Actually, HK people view white people as being stupid dumbasses.

If you go to the more local places like wet markets, white people aren't treated with contempt not because of class or servitude, it's because the locals know the white will be stupid enough to be ripped off and pay over the odds for anything, and the whites will still walk away smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Given that I employ and respect women, why should I be forced to employ people who follow books that say it's okay to treat women as property and beat them?

Some people of certain faiths believe that I am an infidel and should be killed, unfairly taxed, have the tips of my fingers cut off and so on.

Why should I have to put up with having somebody like this in my office. If they hate me, how can I trust them. If they follow their god's teachings, it's their duty to undermine me.

If these same people say, "Oh, I'm a moderate, I only believe in the happy magic bits of my book!", why should I have any obligation to trust them?

For example...

I'm going a bit off topic here but I'm curious to get views on this.

Always slightly disturbed at the way 'liberals' seem to live in a fantasy bubble......I support equality for women, as do liberals, but liberals support the rights of certain women hating religions....I don't get it.....are liberals just stupid?
    People should be employed on their ability to do the job (part of which will be interaction with others). If their religious beliefs impact on their ability to do the job or their interaction with others then you would have a valid and justifiable concern. I work with many muslims (as an example) who do an excellent job (better than me ) and have no personal interaction problems. So why should their beliefs be of concern to me? It seems to me that you are putting your beliefs about their beliefs at the front of your mind.
    HKITperson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Actually, HK people view white people as being stupid dumbasses.

If you go to the more local places like wet markets, white people aren't treated with contempt not because of class or servitude, it's because the locals know the white will be stupid enough to be ripped off and pay over the odds for anything, and the whites will still walk away smiling.

Hmmm... I was brought up amongst wet markets and my family still lives 1 minute from one. This is not racism as with the blacks or browns but getting "one over" the white man. There is a sense of satisfaction. But even then it's not really contempt as is the case
    as throwing the goods to a black or brown or with the DH and then making racist comments.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Hmmm... I was brought up amongst wet markets and my family still lives 1 minute from one. This is not racism as with the blacks or browns but getting "one over" the white man. There is a sense of satisfaction. But even then it's not really contempt as is the case
    as throwing the goods to a black or brown or with the DH and then making racist comments.
    My mistake, 'contempt' was too strong a word to use. I was trying to highlight the fact that their is 'racism' even towards whites, but in a more subtle way.

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast