Like Tree247Likes

Hong Kong tops the most intolerant of other races list

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    My mistake, 'contempt' was too strong a word to use. I was trying to highlight the fact that their is 'racism' even towards whites, but in a more subtle way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. But is it really racism or just finding an opportunity just to fleece some "foreigners" who are gullible, don't know or don't care? I don't think this is really unique to whites. My cousin also a local
    told me her husband (HK born and bred) kept getting ripped off in wet markets because he looked rich and gullible. It was only when she went to the stalls and gave them a rollicking that they stopped.
    Last edited by HKITperson; 06-09-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    People should be employed on their ability to do the job (part of which will be interaction with others). If their religious beliefs impact on their ability to do the job or their interaction with others then you would have a valid and justifiable concern. I work with many muslims (as an example) who do an excellent job (better than me ) and have no personal interaction problems. So why should their beliefs be of concern to me? It seems to me that you are putting your beliefs about their beliefs at the front of your mind.
    Taking your Muslim example...if you tell me you're a Muslim, why shouldn't I have the right to find out exactly what you believe? If you think women are property and that it's acceptable to beat them, why should I have to employ you or respect you?

If you believe that women are property or that it's acceptable to beat them then you have no place in a civilized society and shouldn't expect access to rights you would happily deny others. If you're a 'moderate', how do we know which bits or to what degree a moderate you are?

Personally I've got no respect for moderates in religion anyway. Would you accept, "I'm a Nazi but not for the racist bits, I just like their economic policies."? No, wouldn't wash with me either.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I think it goes further than that, ask most local kids... and they would think that darker skinned Asians are inferior. Many actually associate skin color with actual intelligence.
    Because they are simple minded and can't think for themselves, with no sense of individualism for other nor themselves

wow a month away and it is still the same good old Geo....

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Given that I employ and respect women, why should I be forced to employ people who follow books that say it's okay to treat women as property and beat them?

Some people of certain faiths believe that I am an infidel and should be killed, unfairly taxed, have the tips of my fingers cut off and so on.

Why should I have to put up with having somebody like this in my office. If they hate me, how can I trust them. If they follow their god's teachings, it's their duty to undermine me.

If these same people say, "Oh, I'm a moderate, I only believe in the happy magic bits of my book!", why should I have any obligation to trust them?

For example...

I'm going a bit off topic here but I'm curious to get views on this.

Always slightly disturbed at the way 'liberals' seem to live in a fantasy bubble......I support equality for women, as do liberals, but liberals support the rights of certain women hating religions....I don't get it.....are liberals just stupid?
    Actually this is a valid point. If I am a business owner, do I not have the right to employ people that have the same values and standards as me? After all, it's my company and my money. Looking at this argument I don't actually think it's racism.... Because through any interview process you look for people that is able to blend in culturally with their colleagues and environment as well as being able to deliver.
    Now I suppose that if you give a blanket statement saying that you don't employ Muslims because you hate them and perceive them as being terrorists, dirty...etc as opposed to saying that you rather not chance employing them because you believe they are not a cultural fit for you then it can be construed as being racists.

Whoa.. Seems you are a bit defensive. Hong Kong is free to do whatever it wants... and thankfully I was not here during the colonial times, so I'm quite sure I'm not nostalgic to it.

Talking about race relations in Hong Kong is silly. The city is basically all Chinese (95%) and what little diversity there is, is confined to a few seperate areas. You have Kam Tin and Jordan that have a few SE Asians and you have Disco Bay/Sai Kung/mid levels. Even the "international schools" are almost all Chinese. I've lived in entire block towers that were all Chinese.

This is fine, but don't try to compare Hong Kong and race to places like London, New York and other cities that are forced to confront racial issues.

Hong Kong doesn't face or confront these issues...it is a far different situation. It is like comparing apples to watermelons.
    Not defensive. But being a defender of HK. You may not call it your home country, but I would like to call it mine, even if I'm an expat. Calling my fellow citizens racists, you better have something good to back it up with other than anecdotal Black Alert evidence.

And you again touch on exactly the point I am making about the hypocrisy of the "comparison" or even the use of the word "racism."

On the one hand, you say you can't compare it. Because it's not the same. But you label whatever you think it is in HK as racism.

Racism = racism? But not exactly? Can't compare? But not that kind of racism you would find in UK or US? And the US and UK are much more tolerant because they have more races to deal with? HK racism has it's own special brand of racism?

Come on. And yeah, the Black Alert demonstrates this.

I ask point blank, are HK citizens racists? If you answer yes, I have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    wow a month away and it is still the same good old Geo....

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Actually worse I think. Perhaps not in the past month but certainly in the past year.
    Mat likes this.

That's right, bragging about Hong Kongs race relations would be like a man bragging about never being in a car accident (when the guy never drove a car).

It's easy to have a clean driving record when you don't drive.
    That's exactly right. The record is far cleaner than in other countries.

When's the last time you saw colored people made to sit in the back of the bus? I'll tell you something, in 1975 even after the Civil Rights Act some 5 years prior. You did not have to live it, so you have no idea. Does the HK bus driver make you or I sit at the back of the bus? Are you made to use a different toilet and drinking fountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I'd put it down to HK people not quite being racist (the majority) but close, because of how defensive they view their own little pocket of identity. Relatively, HK doesn't have a long history, but in that short span of time, it's been under the rule of many other governments. They have their little identity and will fight tooth and nail (or rather bitch down to races) to keep it.

It's not just races HK people deem as a lower class, when the white man's back is turned, there's contempt from the locals.

It's like a passive-aggressive thing they do.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    And how is this different than like 90% of the countries out there that don't really like imperialists or colonist not only taking over land and rights, but telling them decades after that they must adore (in your words) the "white man"?

My friend... you mistaken respect for racism. You don't deserve respect; that is earned. Don't equate lack of respect with racism.

I think it goes further than that, ask most local kids... and they would think that darker skinned Asians are inferior. Many actually associate skin color with actual intelligence.
    Kids? Are you "kidding" me? What will kids say? High school juvenile antics and local kids... I know of none that are that disrespectful that are properly brought up in good families. In every society, you will have street kids that act tough and have lower standards. Don't paint every HK citizen that way by using a blanket statement that "most" local kids think that way.

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast