Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Just come back from IKEA in Shatin and they still have plenty of packs of heavy duty straps if anyone has any roof or balcony furniture to tie down. They are on the main market hall floor in the area where they sell laundry baskets and clothes lines, down by the tools on the left wall.

first big one for me in HK... is tai wai relatively safe? need to tape the windows or anything like that? going to buy a few bottles of drinking water just in case.

In Istanbul we were advised to always have an emergency bag because of the frequent seismic activity. Supposed yo keep things like batteries, torches, blankets, first aid kit and condoms (these werent for in case you got lucky in the rubble but for storing water). Only problem is when a quake comes you dont think to grab it from the attic but tun out yhe building asap.

Cathay has just announced they are suspending flights on Sunday.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nnounce-flight

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    first big one for me in HK... is tai wai relatively safe? need to tape the windows or anything like that? going to buy a few bottles of drinking water just in case.
    That depends on the trajectory of the storm. But if you lived on a boat or in a village house, I'd start doing preparations regardless. I wouldn't be too worried if I lived in a highrise flat. Ofcourse it never hurts have some extra drinking water.

it seems the storm will be hitting us tomorrow evening/night? if USAGI follows the path according to HKO's predictions, things might get rather ugly up here in the north.
    Last edited by reprazent; 21-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Cathay has just announced they are suspending flights on Sunday.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nnounce-flight
    Saw that note too https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tes/usagi.html

I'm flying out tomorrow at 4:35pm to Vancouver, wasn't sure if I was going to make it, definitely tight.

Water shelves in my Welcome and Parknshop are almost empty, just some expensive stuff left. I wonder what kinda dramatic doomsday stuff the local news spread.

HKITperson likes this.

Trying hard not to take the cooler bait been through enough typhoons thanks to know the difference between over cautious and this one. Still you will be fine in your ivory tower

There seems to be some lack of understanding among some posters about the size of these monsters. 50km here or there makes little difference so whether it is a direct hit on Shek O or not doesn't really matter. The only good thing about a direct hit is to experience the calm while the eye passes over, very strange.

Original Post Deleted
    Since when does urging you not to take things too lightly translate into panicking? You have a funny definition of what panic means.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 21-09-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    audiot and lingc like this.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast