Like Tree284Likes

Super Typhoon USAGI

Closed Thread
Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

[sarcastic font]
    CY announces the end of typhoon signals in order that Mainlanders will have no impediments to their shopping jaunts. "We can't afford for Hong Kong stores to shut their doors if there are Mainlanders wishing to shop," said CY reiterating his government's sole economy policy, that of positioning Hong Kong as the region's biggest shopping centre for Mainlanders.
    [/sarcastic font]

elle and Azuremain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Just think about it like that:
    INXS, the brit, watercooler and closedcasket disagree on anything and everything and argue for the sake of arguing, this kind of behaviour apparently assists their digestive system...
    One of their favourite past times is to accuse each other of trolling...
    On the contrary, I do agree with Closedcasket and INXS quite often, TB, maybe less so.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    If USAGI had hit us directly or landed within 100 kms to the south the story would have been very different this morning. Stop trolling and consider the people who have been killed, injured and displaced in areas nearby. If USAGI had hit us you can be sure there would have been death and destruction right here in HK...
    I agree with this. Having seen the absolute destruction these storms can cause, I am always amazed that people are upset that we didn't get smashed. People are incredibly complacent here.

I think that there was probably a reason why HK was built where it was. Storms typically go above and below us. Must have been some method in the madness...doubt it is sheer luck.
    Tom007 and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nassaugirl:
    I agree with this. Having seen the absolute destruction these storms can cause, I am always amazed that people are upset that we didn't get smashed. People are incredibly complacent here.

It still astonishes me that the Brits out here think that a typhoon is just another excuse to get wasted at the pub with the premier league playin on the idiot box.

I never saw folks back in Australia get excited when an aproaching storm surge, flood, or bush fire was about to land in their direction. People generally did what was needed to minimize loss of life, grabbing the essentials and getting to the evac shelter in their municipality within time.

I find the lack of common sense and fool hardy dutch courage out here, at times, pretty sad. Your time will come, when that luck runs out.

Early warning systems save lives, and require the majority of the populous to work together when dangerous weather is anticipated. In my opinion its better to take it seriously, than to not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    It still astonishes me that the Brits out here think that a typhoon is just another excuse to get wasted at the pub with the premier league playin on the idiot box.

I never saw folks back in Australia get excited when an aproaching storm surge, flood, or bush fire was about to land in their direction. People generally did what was needed to minimize loss of life, grabbing the essentials and getting to the evac shelter in their municipality within time.

I find the lack of common sense and fool hardy dutch courage out here, at times, pretty sad. Your time will come, when that luck runs out.

Early warning systems save lives, and require the majority of the populous to work together when dangerous weather is anticipated. In my opinion its better to take it seriously, than to not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Well we don't have anywhere to evacuate to... If an evacuation were possible and warranted I'm sure people would do so. However, they would still be the hold-outs. Look at Hurricane Katrina. While evacuation was not possible for some people, i.e. no transport, many chose to stay behind to "tough it out", even holding Katrina parties.

Humans are inherently bad at risk assessment so we cannot always expect logical, rational behaviour in the face of danger.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

It was another lucky escape IMHO Maybe one day we're running out of luck. Not an expert but one direct hit and we're in deep deep shit.100% appreciate the cautious approach of the HKO.

Phew! No reports in the Daily Wail about British tourists being stranded at the airport or having their holiday plans disrupted... All is well in the world.

Fiona in HKG and richteralan like this.

I don't think any of us Brits weren't prepared. It is just yet again another whimper that wouldn't have registered as anything more than a very blustery Autumn day back in Blighty. We Brits are hardy souls and preparing by watching beer and soccer testifies to our strength in the face of adversity. I

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I don't think any of us Brits weren't prepared. It is just yet again another whimper that wouldn't have registered as anything more than a very blustery Autumn day back in Blighty. We Brits are hardy souls and preparing by watching beer and soccer testifies to our strength in the face of adversity. I
    Real Brits call it 'football'. Be proud of your heritage and the game some idiot first banned in 1314, followed by dozens of bans by more idiots wearing crowns and others wearing frocks.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Hardy my ass. False bravado to cover up your ignorance more like it. If I recalled, typhoons don't land in UK. It'll be a different story if a Cat 5 storm hits the UK every now and then. So that would make you a real expert in typhoons would'nt it?

Repeat after me: This-was-not-a-direct-hit.

Never mind, I don't think you will ever understand. Brits (well...certain Brits) are incapable of typhoon comprehension.

You should stick to....well...football weather. Hehehe.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 23-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast