So is that it? No more storms?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Typhoon season isn't over yet.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1377496256.286846.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  57.3 KB

Another one brewing?

This is such a cute idea, I hope it succeeds : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-2...eniers/4917206

East_coast and wtbhotia like this.

Hello WUTIP

Hyperbole - From Wiki

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally

So
    some are saying it was hype but taken seriously
    &
    some are saying correct terms were used and there was a risk if it escalated and or direct hit

Surely given the unpredictability of a typhoon some degree of mitigating action should be taken. Although as many point out HK is not a developing nation with poor standards of building codes which results in homes being blown/washed away or developing nation levels of sea defences resulting in mass urban flooding.
    Last edited by East_coast; 27-09-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Hyperbole - From Wiki

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally

So
    some are saying it was hype but taken seriously
    &
    some are saying correct terms were used and there was a risk if it escalated and or direct hit

Surely given the unpredictability of a typhoon some degree of mitigating action should be taken. Although as many point out HK is not a developing nation with poor standards of building codes which results in homes being blown/washed away or developing nation levels of sea defences resulting in mass urban flooding.
    Not everybody lives in high rises in the urban areas. Not everyone who lives in them would be safely in these high rises without the warnings. The HKO has to consider everybody in the territory.

What many fail to appreciate is why some of us were worried...in terms of personal safety I am not scared even one bit! I am afraid for the many people who live in low lying areas, the fishermen and other mariners, homeless people and others who live in substandard accommodation such as huts or rooftop shacks...I even worry for the safety of the idiots who go out and 'play' with the storm.

It's okay to be all smug in your safe and secure tower but to me, some of you sound inconsiderate, selfish, ignorant or a good mix of the three.....have a nice day :-)

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Not everybody lives in high rises in the urban areas. Not everyone who lives in them would be safely in these high rises without the warnings. The HKO has to consider everybody in the territory.

What many fail to appreciate is why some of us were worried...in terms of personal safety I am not scared even one bit! I am afraid for the many people who live in low lying areas, the fishermen and other mariners, homeless people and others who live in substandard accommodation such as huts or rooftop shacks...I even worry for the safety of the idiots who go out and 'play' with the storm.

It's okay to be all smug in your safe and secure tower but to me, some of you sound inconsiderate, selfish, ignorant or a good mix of the three.....have a nice day :-)
    You're suggesting someone's livelihood, home or life is more important than my patio furniture?
    Trance Omega and ZenTex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You're suggesting someone's livelihood, home or life is more important than my patio furniture?
    Never.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Hello WUTIP
    Not heading our way though....

Closed Thread
Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast