Like Tree143Likes

Quick question about the language

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

There is no way that any foreigners coming to HK will be able to learn Cantonese from scratch. Having a grasps of the basics is all that is needed. I say this in due respect that Cantonese is something that needs to be instilled from birth in order to get the proper tones. Unlike English, cantonese words cannot bw pronounced with different accents.
    Take for example gau. Phonetically speaking coukd mean dog, but in another tone could mean 9 or even mean your dick.
    After a certain age, people develop their own accents and parts of their throats become solid and hence our accents stays with us.i
    To say learn cantonese like a local is near impossible.
    Even some people who have been here a majority of their lives still have not mustered the tones.
    I suggest just learn the basics to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Bowrington Road?

Walk through it pretty much everyday.

OP - I've been here a year and a half. The Taxi Translator App will get you around no problem.

The only reason to learn cantonese that I have come across so far is if you want to eat really cheaply in the local restaurants that don't have English on the menu (i find these places dont have many english speaking staff).

I would love to be able to understand the language and maybe i will learn one day.
    The way to do this is just to take a copy of the menu and get a friend to phonetically translate it for you

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    There is no way that any foreigners coming to HK will be able to learn Cantonese from scratch. Having a grasps of the basics is all that is needed. I say this in due respect that Cantonese is something that needs to be instilled from birth in order to get the proper tones. Unlike English, cantonese words cannot bw pronounced with different accents.
    Take for example gau. Phonetically speaking coukd mean dog, but in another tone could mean 9 or even mean your dick.
    After a certain age, people develop their own accents and parts of their throats become solid and hence our accents stays with us.i
    Even some people who have been here a majority of their lives still have not mustered the tones.
    So if you want to get sucked off 9 times by a rough looking hooker all you need is one three letter word.

The way to do this is just to take a copy of the menu and get a friend to phonetically translate it for you
    How would i know what i want translated

Adding to what I said, there is a lot of local colloquialisms and local slang which would be challenging to someone who has not engaged the local population as you won't find these taught anywhere.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that - it is, so to speak possible to teach an old dog new tricks
    Watercooler likes this.

How would i know what i want translated
    Menus in HK are standard for common dishes in local restaurants. Your friend could tell you what these dishes are in English.
    Recognise the characters and you are on your way!
    Btw, relieved is the word for Leeds winning last night... but worried if they continue playing this way.

So if you want to get sucked off 9 times by a rough looking hooker all you need is one three letter word.
    Or she may think you are asking if 9 dicks on each dog is enough!
    Gau = dick = 9 = enough = dog = each

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    I'll respectfully disagree with you on that - it is, so to speak possible to teach an old dog new tricks
    I am not saying it can't be done but it would have to take an almighty effort!

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast