• Yes

39 58.21%
  • No

28 41.79%
Like Tree10Likes

do you have a clothes dryer?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The dryers that expulses te air out the window are better than the ones that recycle the air within the premises. Dryers also leave your towels softer and smells nicer than hung clothes that are dried by dehumidifier or air dry.

seriously I don't have the space or energy to waste on a tumble dryer....

In my opinion the electricity costs, costs to the environment and space costs that a tumble dryer takes up far outweighs the benefits to me. personally, there is little if any difference in tumble dried over dehumidifier dried....

Last edited by amitsingh_hk; 30-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

We hang our clothes out on the balcony, which works well most of the time. If its rainy, they go to the laundromat.

Hanging clothes on the balcony is so common.

[runs to dodge verbal abuse about to come my way]

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:

Its OK, I never said I wasn't common

Very common. Seen in pretty much every block, thus by definition, common.

(LOL).

Driers are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. After growing up in Texas, where EVERYONE uses a drier ALL the time, even when it's 100F outside, then going to Germany, where NO ONE uses a drier, even when it's -10C outside (they set up clothes racks inside, and plan ahead - takes two days!), I've been convinced there are better alternatives than using all the energy of a drier that are far more environmentally friendly. Some modern conveniences really bring an advantage to our quality of life, but the ability to have "soft, fluffy" towels should not be one of them at the cost to the environment.
    Here in Hong Kong, I'm so grateful I have an outdoor, south-facing clothes hanger that I use all the time. I work my laundry around the weather! In good, sunny weather, the clothes are done in a couple of hours! And they do smell nice and fresh after some time in the sun (I'm thankfully not on a road). I do hate putting them inside, because indeed there is almost no place to put them in a HK apartment.
    About the dehumidifier creating extra heat -- if we use it, then we only put it on at night, and close the bedroom door. They're also then done after a few hours.
    I do sympathize with someone living in a serviced apartment, though. When we did, we didn't have control over the AC and couldn't open the windows, and the clothes simply would not dry. On top of that, the little clothes rack I got from Japan Home really sucked. Again, Germans are completely on top of good, functional clothes racks.
    Anyway.... just wish people would give up on driers and use the outdoors more, would save a lot of energy, especially that that goes into making them. :/

SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Use outdoors? Might not be an option for everyone as it really does smell bad out there quite often outside

Last edited by Trance Omega; 19-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Use outdoors? Might not be an option for everyone as it really does smell bad out there quite often outside
    Yeah, I know there are plenty of buildings that don't come with an outdoor rack, unfortunately. And for those that do have them, it seems people do make good use of them, which makes me very happy.
    Do the clothes really end up smelling bad? I remember my gossipy neighbor lamenting about how bad everything smells outside and how I would *never* want to grow some tomatoes on the roof... but honestly, my clothes are absolutely fine and I love the smell of sun-dried clothes!
    I do strongly believe, though, that it simply takes a bit of planning and foresight to manage drying clothes without using up so much energy. People -- except Germans -- have just become accustomed to not doing that anymore.
    I will admit, in the UK there are certainly issues with getting clothes to dry inside in the damp winter. Plenty of painful experiences with that...

Luckily i don't need to plan my week around laundry. The days the dryer is on is only Mondays and Thursdays when our cleaner comes and it cant be guaranteed that there would be good weather with no pollution on those particular days.