Like Tree194Likes

China donates $100,000 to Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

UK govt just increased donation to 10mil pounds, about 15mil USD?, and have said they will increase this to match public donations pound for pound. 5 min appeal on all tv channels followed by 20 of the 30 mins of the news being dedicated to the disaster. That is how you do it.

Scotland, which has no budget for international aid, has donated just under a million USD. Individual donations in the UK should pass 5 million USD tonight. So already the UK, a country in austerity measures, has donated 20million and that will rise sharply I think. Puts the 100k into context

Didn't I hear CY on the news, that he was going to propose a donation of HK$50m?

100k is just pathetic.

Last edited by reprazent; 13-11-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Didn't I hear CY on the news, that he was going to propose a donation of HK$50m?

100k is just pathetic.
    So China's contribution will be 100,000USD + 50mHKD...

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Didn't I hear CY on the news, that he was going to propose a donation of HK$50m? .
    Didn't he also very generously suggest the Philippines Government could extend the period until Hong Kong applies sanctions if they ask.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Didn't he also very generously suggest the Philippines Government could extend the period until Hong Kong applies sanctions if they ask.
    I'd suggest they just give the 50M hkd as compensation to the hostage victims instead . With more than a thousand confirmed dead against the hostage victims, I'm sure the Philippine government and is people wouldn't mind if they call it quits after that deal.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Just for reference:
    The 2008 Sichuan earthquake, killed 69,195 people, with 18,392 missing.
    Foreign government aid for 2008 earthquake in China: (including countries friendly or unfriendly, aid from private parties not included.)
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: $50, 000, 000
    Japan: ~$5, 000, 000
    India: $5, 000, 000
    Russia:$4, 000, 000
    United States: $ 500, 000

$500,000????
    Is that disgraceful and shameful or does that word only apply when talking about China?
    Yes $500K would seem a very low figure. Although wasn't the area effectively closed off to foreign aid workers which limits much of the ability for foreign donor bodies to direct the 'giving' of aid at the point of need.

Yes, China has donated as much as Vietnam, but at least it has donated something. Yes it is probably a big PR disaster, but at least it has donated something.

What I find quite disturbing is that in the UK, etc the typhoon has been massive news, headline news. In HK its just been a bit of a by-line to other things. I do get the impression that because these people are of a "lower standing" than people of HK, HK'ers and the HK government really doesn't care. It is only paying lip service to show that it "cares". Harsh, yes. Wrong views, maybe.

Dankleness and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes $500K would seem a very low figure. Although wasn't the area effectively closed off to foreign aid workers which limits much of the ability for foreign donor bodies to direct the 'giving' of aid at the point of need.
    It's not "closed off". It's impossible to get to! The roads are broken, the bridges are down, many airports are damaged. Difference.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Yes, China has donated as much as Vietnam, but at least it has donated something. Yes it is probably a big PR disaster, but at least it has donated something.

What I find quite disturbing is that in the UK, etc the typhoon has been massive news, headline news. In HK its just been a bit of a by-line to other things. I do get the impression that because these people are of a "lower standing" than people of HK, HK'ers and the HK government really doesn't care. It is only paying lip service to show that it "cares". Harsh, yes. Wrong views, maybe.
    Europeans care about people in general. Chinese care only about people they know and like (or at a pinch are at least the same race as them).

We already know that and see it every time we complain about being bumped in the streets; hard to complain if they don't suddenly change now. Let's just get on with doing what we can ourselves.
    pin and kimwy66 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast