Like Tree194Likes

China donates $100,000 to Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Good reading this thread, one thing I like about this site is seeing all the different ways people can look at things.
    Glad somebody gets it...I think of a least three or four posters who would have all posts that don't agree with theirs censored...by an odd coincidence, they're all from the land of the 'free'....

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    The equivalent would be to say that westerners don't care about their families as much as the chinese...
    which would also be relatively accuarate
    INXS and MovingIn07 like this.

Original Post Deleted

That is true. This stunt was done by the CCP to win favor from the people. If you follow the reaction on sina weibo and other social media sites..the general populice is largely in favor of giving the Philipines nothing!!

A bit of a tough position for the ol' central government...give too much money and piss off the people...give too little and lose face to world.

I've heard some say that the government would prefer the media doesn't let the word out about even giving 100,000...would prefer to keep that low key inside of China

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:

I've heard some say that the government would prefer the media doesn't let the word out about even giving 100,000...would prefer to keep that low key inside of China
    I thought you could amend that to they would only prefer a media if it was totally controlled by he government.

Does all this really matter? So long as you done your part then surely that all that matters.
    And for those who are high earners, I hope that you donated millions because surely you can afford it. Let's set the value to be 4 million or else it be like flicking a 1 cent at a beggar.

That is true. This stunt was done by the CCP to win favor from the people. If you follow the reaction on sina weibo and other social media sites..the general populice is largely in favor of giving the Philipines nothing!!
    It's true! I heard it on the Chinese interwebs!

Therefore:

A bit of a tough position for the ol' central government...give too much money and piss off the people...give too little and lose face to world.
    and....

You're on drugs mate. What the hell are you talking about? It's just gibberish...bs.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Does all this really matter? So long as you done your part then surely that all that matters.
    And for those who are high earners, I hope that you donated millions because surely you can afford it. Let's set the value to be 4 million or else it be like flicking a 1 cent at a beggar.
    An interesting number your 4 million. I have no idea where you have plucked this from, but lest's look at China's donation as a percentage of it's liquid foreign reserves.

According to one poster here China has US$8.2 trillion in foreign reserves.

As a percentage of these reserves China's generous donation is .000012195%

So on this basis every person here with liquid assets of $100,000 should be donating $1.2195 per $100,000.

Li Ka Shing, Asia's richest man worth aprox US$28 billion, should donate $34, 146.

HKITperson, I will quote another poster here:-

"You're on drugs mate. What the hell are you talking about? It's just gibberish...bs."

My calculator does not do trillions, divide the numbers!.
    Last edited by Cwbguy; 13-11-2013 at 01:56 PM.

I have avoided the 50cent jibes aimed at you in the past but your squirming on this issue is amusing
    Gatts, usehername and drumbrake like this.

So hilarious to see you defend the great north at all costs again! If this was the other way around you would be overly critical of governments refusing aid to China, ITPerson Hypocrisy (tm) at its very best.
    Cwbguy and TheBrit like this.

I just read the news that HK government plans to donate 40 millions HKD humanitarian aid to the Philippines. But of course the proposal needs to be passed by the legislative council first.

And I'm not so sure what the fuzz about the amount China is giving to the Philippines this time. I haven't read any news relevant to this. But there is actually no obligation for China to give any to them.

I'm all for humanitarian aid in large scale natural disasters like this. But I think the government need to ensure that all of the money could benefit directly to the civilians; instead of being corrupted away by some officials.

Last edited by YCC; 13-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    INXS and HKITperson like this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast