Like Tree194Likes

China donates $100,000 to Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    I just read the news that HK government plans to donate 40 millions HKD humanitarian aid to the Philippines. But of course the proposal needs to be passed by the legislative council first.

And I'm not so sure what the fuzz about the amount China is giving to the Philippines this time. I haven't read any news relevant to this. But there is actually no obligation for China to give any to them.

I'm all for humanitarian aid in large scale natural disasters like this. But I think the government need to ensure that all of the money could benefit directly to the civilians; instead of being corrupted away by some officials.
    My point too. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes...even my helper says the young men are too busy nicking tvs to try to get food and water...corruption is endemic in the Philippines....now, no need to start on why that is...this is just the facts as they stand.....

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    My point too. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes...even my helper says the young men are too busy nicking tvs to try to get food and water...corruption is endemic in the Philippines....now, no need to start on why that is...this is just the facts as they stand.....

Well I guess the Philipines weren't corrupt a couple years ago then....

In December 2011, China provided US$1 million after Severe Tropical Storm Washi killed hundreds in the Philippines. A much smaller storm...but of course that storm was prior to relations deteriorating early this year.

If you can't see this for what it is, then you are freakin blind or biased....I tend to think the latter.
    Gatts likes this.

Seems not everyone agrees in China:
    http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...phoon-donation

"China should help victims of Super Typhoon Haiyan in spite of tensions between the two countries, according to a state-run newspaper"

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    So for the record, you are totally convinced there is no political message at all in this? Hilarious.

One of the major issues trending among the Phils community is the prevention of corruption. I think anyone attempting to profit from this will be lynched. As for the Chinese withholding aid over fears of corruption, LMAO.

Gatts, MovingIn07, kimwy66 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    So hilarious to see you defend the great north at all costs again! If this was the other way around you would be overly critical of governments refusing aid to China, ITPerson Hypocrisy (tm) at its very best.
    And equally amusing to see you frothing at the mouth just because this is China related and you have something to bash them around the head with.

If you can comprehend, my logic is simply that a donation is voluntary and no one is obliged to give anything or should be chastised for giving small amounts. I find it hilarious that people are getting out calculators and calculating how much China should be giving and in the process getting so worked up about it. I wouldn't care either if it was US doing this. Again, a donation is voluntary! You can't put a value on a gift. Bottom line, they had contributed.

Would you at say a school event seek out the wealthiest parents and force them to donate greater amounts and wish them dead if they do not do so? Would you get out a calculator and calculate the level of their sponsorship based of them living on the Peak?

Gatts, please tell me why are you and some others getting so worked up and indignant about how much China should be giving? If you are so annoyed about this, then please write to your legislator.

I will donate and help where possible and quite frankly I don't care what you or others give. I am more concerned that I have made my contribution to help others.

Get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    I have avoided the 50cent jibes aimed at you in the past but your squirming on this issue is amusing
    So your whole reasoning on this debate is based around what I said in the past? Classic!
    The amusing part is you and some others getting so worked up over something so trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Gatts, please tell me why are you and some others getting so worked up and indignant about how much China should be giving? If you are so annoyed about this, then please write to your legislator.
    Er no, I'm commenting because China's much lesser gift to the Philippines then their previous gift for a much smaller disaster is clearly a political message yet, you do not even have the guts to admit this. Now that's classic.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Well I guess the Philipines weren't corrupt a couple years ago then....

In December 2011, China provided US$1 million after Severe Tropical Storm Washi killed hundreds in the Philippines. A much smaller storm...but of course that storm was prior to relations deteriorating early this year.

If you can't see this for what it is, then you are freakin blind or biased....I tend to think the latter.
    I'm blind. Just like you. None of us have all of the facts. The difference is that I'm not inventing a story to support any inbuilt biases I may have. You are.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    So your whole reasoning on this debate is based around what I said in the past? Classic!
    The amusing part is you and some others getting so worked up over something so trivial.
    Aid saves lives agreed? (why else are you donating?)

witholding aid for political reasons or because you do not like them therefore results in preventable deaths.

Explain to me why this is trivial please

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast