Like Tree194Likes

China donates $100,000 to Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

To INXS, as you are so fond of facts.Why do you think they were looting TVs etc? They have no homes, there is no power. Do you think they were going to sit down and watch the latest soap opera on their spanking new TVs FFS? They looted them in the vain hope they could trade them for food. Get a grip.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The Vatican announced it was donating US$150,000 in emergency aid. It could help further by removing its stranglehold over the country.

MovingIn07, Koen and INXS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Simply because I felt I have to contribute and help out.I know lots of people who didn't but then that's their choice. I am not going to insult or shame them.
    The amount I gave may or may not be enough but then again I don't know. Perhaps I should fly over there and be more use as a volunteer, perhaps if I skip one week's dinner I could save 10 more lives. I honestly don't know. I only know that I done my bit without fretting on about what others have done.
    And your donation is much appreciated. It still does not mean that the blatantly political snub by China is not disgusting. It is WRONG morally, it is WRONG politically, it is WRONG from a PR standpoint. It is a total cock-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    I found that incredibly odd. I rushed to the TV to see the news on the disaster first night only to be met with some idiot going on about TV licences.

Maybe its just the constant state of befuddlement here but this seemed beyond the pail.

It was leading news across the world, but not apparently in Bonkers?
    I'll tell you something even more surprising. It's not the topic of every conversation in Manila either. I didn't watch TV, but I was there for 2 days having business meetings and I was surprised at how "normal" it all was. Perhaps folks were just being professional and keeping going, but not sure I could have done that.

One sample conversation:

me "how are you after the typhoon"?
    them "my family lives in Leyte"
    me "goodness - are they OK"?
    them "we havn't heard from them"
    me "oh dear [or something similarly useless]"
    Them "thanks. xxx [topic of meeting]"...

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    I found that incredibly odd. I rushed to the TV to see the news on the disaster first night only to be met with some idiot going on about TV licences.

Maybe its just the constant state of befuddlement here but this seemed beyond the pail.

It was leading news across the world, but not apparently in Bonkers?
    I follow the Guardian and Independent in the uk, both had this as headline news. What do we get in the SCMP?

" Markets get decisive role in the economy ", with a side of how generous HK is, and how ungrateful the Philippines are.

Says it all really.

CNN had amazing coverage.

China is still learning the game. They've made a bad mistake with this one.

Petty and not at all endearing. Im not sure they are too worried about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I follow the Guardian and Independent in the uk, both had this as headline news. What do we get in the SCMP?

" Markets get decisive role in the economy ", with a side of how generous HK is, and how ungrateful the Philippines are.

Says it all really.

CNN had amazing coverage.
    And before INXS jumps in with "leftie" comments about the Guardian and the Indie, on the train this morning (days after the typhoon) I noticed it was still front page of the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I'll tell you something even more surprising. It's not the topic of every conversation in Manila either. I didn't watch TV, but I was there for 2 days having business meetings and I was surprised at how "normal" it all was. Perhaps folks were just being professional and keeping going, but not sure I could have done that.

One sample conversation:

Underneath they are crying though. They interviewed four Filipino staff from a ferry based in the UK. Calmly discussing how they had not heard from their parents, family, etc. Then got on with their job of cleaning. Then they cried.
    Koen and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    If you follow the reaction on sina weibo and other social media sites..the general populice is largely in favor of giving the Philipines nothing!!
    Thats reasuring there I was thinking it was just the central government like every thing else.

I must say Japans respons was impressive.

This is like the build up to World War 111 ?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

One sample conversation:

Its not culturally appropriate to upset others I believe. People will smile but inside they are upset.
    closedcasket likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast