Like Tree10Likes

Rent out your car or rent a car in HK service

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rent out your car or rent a car in HK service

Saw this on Facebook http://www.carshare.hk/how-it-works

Got a call from them, seems pretty well thought out. For the car owner, there's no up front costs nor monthly fees; they will do all the insurance paper work for you and their company will pay for the insurance policy (your regular policy will be the same but any accidents during the course of rental will be covered by the policy that they will sign up and send you). The car owner does not need to pay for the insurance. They will also install the telemetrics device as well for free. The only cost is they will take 30% of payment from the rental proceeds; so if you end up without any rentals, no fees on you. A reimbursement of at $1.5 HKD per km will be made for gasoline as well (if it doesn't cover your gas guzzler, just increase the hourly/daily rate).

Interesting option for those who are looking to rent cars in HK. They're working on an app to be rolled out in Feb where the renter will download an app where they can get a key access code. Once they have paid for the rental, the renter can use their smart phone with the access code to unlock the car door with the telemetrics device. The car owner can leave the physical key inside the car so the renter can just return it to the same parking spot and lock it back up with the smart phone app/telementrics device. Cool stuff.

They said cars are only the start for them, motorcycles are being considered now.
    It's a great story I think of a bunch of young people getting money support from HK gov and private investors. Too often in HK, young people's business ideas gets shot down by cynical old folks before they even take off. Good for them.

Disclosure - I am NOT involved with their business; but you may be able to rent my Audi Allroad 2.7T in the Saikung/Ma On Shan area through them soon LOL

Last edited by Titus; 07-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I am a little curious how this idea works in the event of the car being returned with a new scratch, dent on the body, or a curb damaged wheel/tyre, steering/suspension component, or worse the car gets pranged... who sorts all that out and at what cost etc ?

How does that side work ?

As a side note...

Personally, I dont like the idea of giving my car out to people I don't know, and lets be honest, hire cars usually get abused by most people that hire them, because it isnt theirs. I am not one of them, I hired a brand new Hyundai IX35 Turbo Diesel in Paris recently as we were doing a 21 day road trip ( 2500km to Brussels, Ghent, Bruge, Dunkirk, Chantily, Mulhouse/Alsace ) and at €573, it made sense to hire than use our own car ( which doesn't have enough luggage space for that sort of trip ).

The day before I dropped the SUV off, I gave it a wash, vacuumed inside, wiped down the leather interior, mainly the back seats ( we've got 3 kids lol ) , dash, even under the bonnet, cleaned all the dust off everything gave it all a wipe down with some Pliz modern surface spray ( makes everything look shiny) even in the door jams / scuff plates etc and gave the tyres some tyre shine.

Name:  H1090004.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  H1090026.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  H1090013.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  74.4 KB
    When I returned it, the lady at the hire car company commented that she wished everybody returned their cars in the same condition that I did. I just said to her that if I hired my car to somebody, I would like them to return it to me in the same condition it left, a bit of common courtesy and a healthy respect for other peoples property.

Last edited by Skyhook; 07-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Drive it like you stole it is the way a lot of people treat hire cars.

I used to work for a major breakdown organization back in the UK and always had access to hire cars, you thrash them.

I wouldn't lend my car to anybody I don't know/trust.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Drive it like you stole it is the way a lot of people treat hire cars.

I used to work for a major breakdown organization back in the UK and always had access to hire cars, you thrash them.

I wouldn't lend my car to anybody I don't know/trust.
    yeah, handbrake turns and wheels spins!

good idea indeed; might use that once

Yup, I used to thrash my hired cars. When I was much younger I used to hire one every Xmas, as I suspected my old banger couldn't cope with the cold. One estate car I hired ended up in a ditch after a friend forgot to put the handbrake on after he went down the road with it.

Another courtesy car I got when my own car was being serviced at cream carpets. I asked them beforehand, are you sure? As I'd dirty them up big time, the company didn't mind at all.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Titus likes this.

yeah isnt the whole idea of a hire car to = splash thru puddles and eat crisps whilst drivin - then let someone else clean it...

Titus likes this.

LOL yea I used to experiment launching an automatic transmission on a courtesy car by reving it to peak torque in N and then dumping it into D. Boy. LOL

I've talked to them about this issue, and also parking/speeding tickets. Apparently the telemetric device they install will register engine rpm (they also say it can tell if parts are removed from the engine bay, though I'm not sure how they could do that) and other signs of abuse for which the renter will have to pay a deductible. For speeding/parking tickets, the owner can provide the company with the ticket anytime after the rental and as long as the car was rented out during that time, the company will pay the owner the fine and they will sort it out with the renter themselves without any hassle for the owner.

Well, the point is not to rent out your car if the car is your baby (though I see some new cars like a Range Rover Evoque (spelling?) on there). Mine's a 10 year old beater wagon, don't mind if someone totals it for me (without getting hurt) lol

This is a fascinating idea - I had not seen it before. But the prices are really high - I just checked online and they seem to be about the same as normal car rental companies. Is this just making more cars available? Surely I would expect to get your banger at a discount to a nice new car from hertz?

To quote Jeremy Clarkson, "This is the fastest car in the world.....because it ain't mine"

Sounds a good idea but am I going to let you lot get your grubby paws on my merc........No fracking chance!

Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast