Like Tree169Likes

A few days in HK so far and I hate it. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Somebody mentioned a salary of HKD200k a month a few posts back…..!

sounds like a good reason to me....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Somebody mentioned a salary of HKD200k a month a few posts back…..!
    Money can't buy you happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort as the saying goes.
    elle and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Money can't buy you happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort as the saying goes.
    If you have plenty of money and you aren't happy, then you are spending it on the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If you have plenty of money and you aren't happy, then you are spending it on the wrong things.
    We are basically not spending that much, especially relative to our income. Our idea is basically to save up X amount so we have the option to have more freedom in life. The stint in HK should last 3 - 5 years.

I really don't understand the spending dichotomy. The traditional culture is quite frugal, which I identify with. Then there's this other culture which values material goods where 90% of what you're paying is brand premium. I understand the mainland isn't much better in that regard. I also don't understand how luxury brands keep their value in society when so many people have access to it. It seems like paying brand premium when there isn't really any cachet? Can upper middle class people here really impress other upper middle class people here via material goods?

Also how do girls here like shopping so much if the apartments are so small? Where would they put it?
    Last edited by applejacks; 03-01-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Applejacks

What makes you happy?

good question. I probably need to establish some type of network here.

This reminds me. I actually like to cook. However a local told me local women are quite proud of how they can't cook, cause when their moms cooked they weren't allowed in the kitchen (kitchens are too small). Now that helpers are so common, manual labor of the domestic sort is looked down upon so not knowing how to cook is a source of pride.

This also reminds me of how speaking poor mandarin or not speaking mandarin is a source of pride.

How natural and/or immature is my "these people just suck" reaction?

This is my first impression thus far.

Last edited by applejacks; 03-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks:
    good question. I probably need to establish some type of network here.

This reminds me. I actually like to cook. However a local told me local women are quite proud of how they can't cook, cause when their moms cooked they weren't allowed in the kitchen (kitchens are too small). Now that helpers are so common, manual labor of the domestic sort is looked down upon so not being able to cook is a source of pride.
    Lots of cooking classes here in hk.
    Towngas for example do classes
    Elegiaque likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by applejacks:
    This also reminds me of how speaking poor mandarin or not speaking mandarin is a source of pride.
    Hong Kong is still a predominantly Cantonese-speaking city and the people of the Canton region have pride in their language and culture, despite the intentions of the "North City" to eradicate this distinction. So what you speak of could be a way to 'stick it to the man' and *gasp* assert their separateness from the hive collective.
    chingleutsch and carang like this.

Is that what that is? I would guess politically minded people would know being self-racists doesn't serve them well.

It comes across as a need to not be classified as part of the poorer mainland contingent.

The phrase hive collective can easily mean local HKs once you're not talking to local HKs. Self-awareness here is a bit lacking.

Last edited by applejacks; 03-01-2014 at 11:43 AM.

@applejack, I can relate. After about a year here, I was very happy to leave if the right opportunity came up. Several 'issues' were pissing me off, down to the most basic things as bumping into people on the street, to the constant Cantonese chatter. I've always been a positive guy so I was really quite surprised by how I felt. Anyway, I came to realize that I had to change my way of thinking. And it was simply to care less or not at all about the things that didn't really matter. If girls wanna go shopping, let them go shopping. Who gives a shit. The issues of HK aren't essential to my happiness. Besides work, having some good hobbies, interests (could be your cooking), getting out of the city to areas where there are NO people, and get some good friends (not many friends, but a few GOOD friends). I also learnt to stay away from negative people. I often had a lunch with a guy who hated it here, and looking back, I do think his negativity rubbed off on me.

I've been in HK 7,5 years now. All good.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast