Like Tree169Likes

A few days in HK so far and I hate it. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    This thread has run its course, but your observations are spot on and these things won't change ( in fact they will get worse as development & population increase ), but can be managed.

The vast majority of expats are indeed here for the money. Save up, travel, and make the best of it. At 200k a month you can do a lot to avoid the annoying aspects of this city.
    I only spend about 180 - 200 days here ( full disclosure), that helps. I don't think I could do 365 days in this overcrowded, polluted, rat race anymore

Live far away from any train line and hire a driver (sai kung, DB or Repulse Bay) Hire a helper to do all your shopping & cooking & cleaning. Do your shopping on Amazon. Buy healthy imported food ( check out iHerb.com) Buy a few IQ Air , air purifiers. Travel often. Leave Hong Kong all together for the months of June, July and August.

Most of your complaints can be managed with money and ignoring the issues.
    Ah yes getting a driver to add to the already bad traffic is going to help with pollution.
    And getting everything imported. Great thinking there CC!.

If an expat is here and sold their soul purely for the $$$ and hates it here then I have zero sympathy. They know where the airport is.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ah yes getting a driver to add to the already bad traffic is going to help with pollution.
    And getting everything imported. Great thinking there CC!.

If an expat is here and sold their soul purely for the $$$ and hates it here then I have zero sympathy. They know where the airport is.
    What world do you live in? People move places for career advancement and financial reasons all the time. Selling your soul? You're a drama queen.
    kimwy66 and audiot like this.

Original Post Deleted
    It's clear you don't read my posts. If you did you would know that I don't employ slaves, and that I am here primarily so I can travel, retire early and secure a sound financial future for my family. Yes, I would prefer to live back home, but I make enough money to justify living out here (for the time being).
    If you can't comprehend that point of view, than I can't help you. You clearly are defensive, probably because you will be living in this overcrowded, polluted city for the rest of your days

Hong Kong is NOT a hardship posting.

Approaches to life may be different and not what you are used to... But that does not mean they are necessarily bad or wrong. Below is a list of things happy people don't do from WSI

1. Compare Themselves To Others

Happy people are content being individuals and don’t succumb to jealousy. They don’t try to be like anyone else, and they don’t seek anyone else’s approval. When they want to improve, they do it for themselves. They set goals unique to them and compare themselves only to their past selves, ignoring societal pressure to be a certain way. If other people like their individuality, that’s great. If they don’t, that’s fine too.

2. Try To Change Others

People who are happy with themselves and their own flaws have also accepted other people and the imperfections around them. People might change for the better, but they probably won’t. Accept people for exactly who they are, just as you’d want them to accept you.

3. Rely On Others To Make Them Happy

There’s a trend emerging here: happiness really does need to come from within and won’t be supplied by anyone else. Happy people may dream big and have high hopes, but they don’t usually expect much from those around them. They don’t count on others to make their day. Instead, they rely on themselves, do the things they love and make their own happiness.

4. Hold Grudges

Content people forgive those who have wronged them, even if they don’t ask forgiveness. Grudges are a waste of energy and take away from one’s overall happiness. Instead of living in the past, let bygones be bygones and move on with your life.

5. Have Regrets

Regrets are just like grudges, except all that negative energy is focused on yourself instead of someone else. Let yourself make mistakes, and then learn and grow from them. Your life experiences, both positive and negative, make you who you are. Use them to propel yourself forward into a more successful future.

6. Stay In Negative Environments

If something in particular is standing in the way of your happiness, remove yourself from the situation. Whether you’re in a dead-end desk job when your dream is to fly planes, or you simply found yourself at a party with people who are bringing you down, find a way to get back to a positive environment that can help you be happy.

7. Lie To Themselves

Happy people tell it like it is. They don’t pretend everything is perfect. They just accept that it isn’t. When there’s a problem, they prefer to tackle it head-on and rectify the situation rather than sweeping it under a rug. Honesty and frankness are their assets.

8. Give Up

Happy people know that failure is only temporary. When things go wrong, they get up and try again. Sure, they might reexamine the issue, change their approach or even tweak their goals, but they never walk away when they reach an obstacle. If they set their sights on a goal, they’re going to accomplish it.

9. Ignore Their Instincts

Content people trust themselves and follow their instincts. They do what they feel is right for them in any given situation. That means their choices are theirs alone, and they take full responsibility for the consequences. If a decision doesn’t feel completely right or natural, reevaluate it.

10. Take Things For Granted

Joyful people understand and acknowledge what they have and what they’re given. They are grateful for their good fortune. They make sure they appreciate everything from the fact that they have clean drinking water and roofs over their heads to the fact that so-and-so from Human Resources brought in donuts this morning.

11. Keep Their Happiness To Themselves

Happy people share their contentment with the world. They express gratitude, they do nice things for others and they pass on their good spirits, all without expecting anything in return.

If you want to be more at ease with Hong Kong and enjoy what the city offers changing your approach might be good place to start. You seem to think people have no time for you as you are a 'mainlander'. People have little time for anyone, just smile, be pleasant and get on with it. Approaching a problem with a smile usually gets a different result.

If you don't like the nouveau riche and their need to display wealth of watches and handbags in blingy shopping malls go eat at a Dai Po Dong for lunch or find something that you used to enjoy in your spare time - You probably also need to put more 'ing' into your life, everybody needs to feel part of something and doing more 'íng' stuff is the best way. All these 'íngs' are readily available in HK - painting, walking, cooking, climbing, diving, motorcycling, running, reasearching, volateering, dancing etc.

Good luck. If you are really struggling

MandM!, HowardCoombs, Kfay and 3 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Ah, brilliant! Paint the picture as black and white to serve your argument. Most expats aren't here purely for the money or because they love the city. The reason people choose to live anywhere (Hong Kong included) is a complex decision based on many different factors, but naturally money is important.

I do realize there are some expats here because they like the city and also some who are here because they are married to a local. But those people are in the minority, not the majority. I would argue that the majority of expats share the concerns and feelings of the op.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 05-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.

What I can see in this and the OP's earlier thread is, she didn't want to come here, now that she is here she decided to hate it.
    With that attitude she never gave the place a chance and probably never will do so in the future.
    Methinks, she'd better study the map posted here with detailed instructions about how to get to the airport carefully.

jimbo, chris_yang22, Mat and 2 others like this.

I would argue that the majority of expats share the concerns and feelings of the op.
    I whole-heartedly disagree with that statement, I also know that there is absolutely no point in arguing with you - thus I won't do so
    Mat, chingleutsch, nickvv and 4 others like this.

This thread has run its course, but your observations are spot on and these things won't change ( in fact they will get worse as development & population increase ), but can be managed.

The vast majority of expats are indeed here for the money. Save up, travel, and make the best of it. At 200k a month you can do a lot to avoid the annoying aspects of this city.
    I only spend about 180 - 200 days here ( full disclosure), that helps. I don't think I could do 365 days in this overcrowded, polluted, rat race anymore

Live far away from any train line and hire a driver (sai kung, DB or Repulse Bay) Hire a helper to do all your shopping & cooking & cleaning. Do your shopping on Amazon. Buy healthy imported food ( check out iHerb.com) Buy a few IQ Air , air purifiers. Travel often. Leave Hong Kong all together for the months of June, July and August.

Most of your complaints can be managed with money and ignoring the issues.
    Ok no wonder you know shit about the place you live in :-)

@East_Coast, good post!

Hopefully the OP doesn't live in a high rise with balcony or large opening windows.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    I whole-heartedly disagree with that statement, I also know that there is absolutely no point in arguing with you - thus I won't do so
    I would expect someone living in Disco Bay to at least half-heartedly agree with it

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast