Russell Brand

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russell Brand

Any thoughts on ol' Russ? I used to listen to his podcast quite avidly every Monday. Bit disappointed it won’t be on anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Any thoughts on ol' Russ? I used to listen to his podcast quite avidly every Monday. Bit disappointed it won’t be on anymore.
    To me he's always been just another talentless loud-mouth "celebrity" who happened to be in the right place at the right time, and who has convinced himself and seemingly everyone else that he's a real star to the extent that everyone seems to want to sh*g him. In a way I'm glad that what happened happened (do you really expact any good to come out of sleeping with someone like him anyway?).

Must go and get my hand on the latest Heat magazine now...

I agree with Scotchdrinker. He has never appealed to me. I do think he is clever but I think he chose to dumb down and take the 'talk loudly, swear often, say vulgar things' route and doing so became just another foul mouthed celeb, known pretty much only for being foul mouthed.

no sympathy for Brand whatsoever. Would be a shame to see Jonathon Ross get the chop though as he is at least entertaining, Brand is just waste of space in my opinion

At times I found the radio show laugh-out-loud hilarious. I like the irreverent anarchistic bumbling chatter and, while I agree that sometimes it was just plain weird and offensive, on the whole the Russell Brand ‘character’ is pretty funny. I do hate the way the media latches on to these things and turn it into a witch hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    no sympathy for Brand whatsoever. Would be a shame to see Jonathon Ross get the chop though as he is at least entertaining, Brand is just waste of space in my opinion
    Worth noting that Ross was the main protagonist (though I also find him pretty funny)

I understand if you don't like him as a person, but to call him "talentless loud-mouth celebrity" is a bit much. He just takes things to far. Remember the day after the American 9/11 he dressed up as bin laden.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    I understand if you don't like him as a person, but to call him "talentless loud-mouth celebrity" is a bit much. He just takes things to far. Remember the day after the American 9/11 he dressed up as bin laden.
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't Russell Brand? Aaron Barschak perhaps? I'm not a fan of him, neither his 'personality', nor his 'humour'. Perhaps I've had a sense of humour failure, but I don't see what's funny about a heroin addict (now ex allegedly, but alcoholics say they are never cured, so I assume the same for junkies), who is crude and lewd. He seems to think that having 'out of control' hair, wearing 'out there' clothes, and appearing somewhat androgynous along with the crudeness and lewdness makes him funny. Am I missing something here?

All I see is a second rate impersonation of Johnny Depp doing Capt. Jack Sparrow from the Pirates movies. And by the last few films that really was a parody of the first film... And as for releasing a book called 'My Booky Wook' - eugh!

Have to wonder why any right thinking woman would go with Brand ... he's supposedly a notorious womaniser, so you know it's not going to lead to much, and let's face it he's not exactly discreet about his antics. What a class act ... not.

I feel a lot better for that now. Jonathan Ross (who actually said the really offensive remarks) is a bit of a prat too. A lot of the above can be ascribed to him too. His chat show doesn't feel as good as it was, as it seems to be too much of him now (and it's predominantly his showbiz mates who come on...)
    Last edited by jonnye; 30-10-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: extra makes made for a nonsense sentence :)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't Russell Brand?Aaron Barschak perhaps? I'm not a fan of him ...
    Nah, Brand did it too, although I think he was less funny and more outrageous back then. I guess he is a comedian that pretty much polarises people. The wife doesn’t think he’s very funny.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I had never heard of this person till the news reports about him calling Bush a retarded cowboy on tv (?). I inadvertently caught him on Leno and thought he came across as an loud-mouthed idiot without a soupcon of comedic talent...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast