Like Tree6Likes

Converting an overseas drivers' license to a Hong Kong one

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

G1 sounds like a British L plate license... so no I dont think they will let u change it...

For the record i havent driven in the two years ive had the HK licence. The only reason i applied for it is to make sure i dont need to retake my test should i return to my home country 5 years after that licence had expired

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    For the record i havent driven in the two years ive had the HK licence. The only reason i applied for it is to make sure i dont need to retake my test should i return to my home country 5 years after that licence had expired
    I thought it's just the photo card that expires rather than the actual licence? Or am I showing my age??? My paper licence is valid until I'm old and decrepid and it's just my photocard that needs renewing every so often (Sorry, just about to run for the ferry so no time to actually check for myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I thought it's just the photo card that expires rather than the actual licence? Or am I showing my age??? My paper licence is valid until I'm old and decrepid and it's just my photocard that needs renewing every so often (Sorry, just about to run for the ferry so no time to actually check for myself!)
    Correct. The paper license is good till you are 70. The photo license you do every 10 years which I just did recently very easily using my MIL's address. However there is a fine for falsely declaring a UK address if you do not actually reside there.
    bibbju likes this.

I'm talking about a Guernsey Licence, not a UK one.

If it expires you have 5 years to replace it otherwise need to retake the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Correct. The paper license is good till you are 70. The photo license you do every 10 years which I just did recently very easily using my MIL's address. However there is a fine for falsely declaring a UK address if you do not actually reside there.
    Note they are phasing out the paper licences. Think it is in a couple of years you will have to replace it with a new photo licence, which of course you can't get if you reside overseas. But the record of your right to drive will still exist with DVLA.

Edit: It is 2015 the paper licence is gone - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...hased-out.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886
    Last edited by kimwy66; 05-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.

I just came back from Canada not too long ago. I can tell you I previous tried to get my G2 converted to the HK license, and they will tell you at the counter you can't do so until have your G.

I don't think you have the worry about the time period because I got my G in June of 2013, my HK license in October of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Note they are phasing out the paper licences. Think it is in a couple of years you will have to replace it with a new photo licence, which of course you can't get if you reside overseas. But the record of your right to drive will still exist with DVLA.

Edit: It is 2015 the paper licence is gone - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...hased-out.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886
    Sounds sensible. Luckily I officially reside in the UK as well as HK depending on who's asking so renewing my licence isn't a problem. Ahem. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Sounds sensible. Luckily I officially reside in the UK as well as HK depending on who's asking so renewing my licence isn't a problem. Ahem. 😊
    It's all very strange.

I got my new UK passport sent to HK (i.e. residing in HK). For driving licence photo renewal they don't even need a new photo of you, they just use the one submitted for your passport (along with the signature), but this got sent to my folks UK address.

That's so nice, I wish Canada was smart enough to do that. We have to retake our photos on the spot every time we get our licenses renewed.

let alone, HK has no photo on their driver licenses.