Like Tree10Likes

HSBC Unionpay fiasco - PLUS is coming back!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MyCsPiTTa:
    BTW, can someone remind me, what is the suffix to distinguish HKD savings and HKD Current?
    -001 is the current account. The savings account varies depending on what type of account it is. -888 for Premier, -833 for Advance. Not sure for other types.
    MyCsPiTTa likes this.

Is current HSBC hks way of labeling checking?

Yes, it's the cheque account.

So, what do people think? Can we now throw away our UnionPay cards, assuming we transfer funds and autopayments over to main 001 Current our primary account? I feel I'm missing something, but I really want to get that extra card out of my wallet!

No, checking is the US way of labelling current.

bibbju and anothercanuck like this.

Sure, you can discard your unionpay card, but I suggest you retain it for travelling as a backup in the ultra rare instance that Plus doesn't work...

Backup == Bring some green dollars. They always work.

I received my Hang Seng UnionPay card and I wasn't able to withdraw cash at an overseas ATM that had a UnionPay logo. I think there will be a Hang Seng UnionPay fiasco this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dazeddude:
    I received my Hang Seng UnionPay card and I wasn't able to withdraw cash at an overseas ATM that had a UnionPay logo. I think there will be a Hang Seng UnionPay fiasco this year.
    Have you activated the overseas withdrawals? --- If you would like to use cash withdrawal services (including cash advance) at overseas ATM, you must activate the overseas ATM cash withdrawal function by setting the "overseas ATM daily cash withdrawal limit" and "activation period" in advance through Hang Seng Bank or HSBC ATMs in Hong Kong or other channels.- ref
    Last edited by james1234; 07-02-2014 at 10:04 AM.

This whole Union Pay thing sucks! Can't use the card in most countries in Europe either, outrageous!

UnionPay is not all bad. For a starter, it is cheaper to withdraw from an UnionPay ATM than from a Plus/Cirrus one overseas. If you are able to locate an ATM that supports UnionPay that is.