Like Tree19Likes

Sub $2000 smart phone recommendation

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

But but but this is hk! Where branding is everything! You can't have last years phone! You'll be ostracized!

East_coast likes this.

Yes it can.

Original Post Deleted
    why, N4 is 2012 premium sub flagship phone at bargain/competive price, moto G is a decent mid ranger at bargain entry level price with some compromises

in fact, N4 has better performance and functions over the moto g, both have same weakness, limited battery and non-removable, no removable storage

Nexus 4 has significant advantages over moto G - marginal bigger screen, but much better quality, decent amount of ram, 2g = silky smooth performance, moto g is only 1gig ( decent for entry level) TV output using slimport, much better mid range camera

it's like almost changing a VW Golf GTI (200bhp) for a 1.6 ford focus (125bhp) or a 2nd gen i3 computer to a 4th gen atom computer
    Last edited by imparanoic; 10-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    pin likes this.

HK999 for Xiaomi Hongmi now that's almost a reasonable price for a phone

Swannie beat me to it, they're going crazy with the Xiaomi hongmi. I'd get that just to see how good it is in comparison.

I bet you the guy who sold you his S2 is looking to buy a xiaomi after the frenzy is over and price dropped back to original.

Xiaomi 'Red Rice' phone. Sub 1K and will knock spots off anything close in that price bracket. I bought one for the wife and its a great phone, nice, slick UI and plenty fast (quad core). Only downside is you have to buy them on event days which means getting a friend who reads Chinese to order for you on their website.

If you have a few brain cells, you don't need a chinese friend to order and the Xiaomi is also available through PCCW

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:

I bet you the guy who sold you his S2 is looking to buy a xiaomi after the frenzy is over and price dropped back to original.
    I will bet a dozen donkeys he isn't.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

At a retail price of HK$999, this versatile smartphone is seen throughout Greater China as a lower-priced challenger to more globally-popular models. As an example of this smartphone's popularity, 10,000 units were sold in Hong Kong in just 36 seconds when the Xiaomi Hongmi was made available via its online shop.
    http://www.pccw.com/About+PCCW/Media...ge=en_US&pop=Y

10K units sold in 36 seconds. Holy crap, I must get one also then

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    If you have a few brain cells, you don't need a chinese friend to order and the Xiaomi is also available through PCCW
    It helps though, as I was one of the 10,000 that got one when they sold out in 36 seconds!

Sounds like they are coming to PCCW, I wonder if they'll offer the same deals though.

I got a kit with an extra battery, external charger, screen protector, case etc.

On a side note, the battery life is really good. Almost double what we used to get on a Galaxy Nexus. The UI is really slick and well thought out too. Recommended!
    Creative83 likes this.