Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    I'm 100% certain I can get a better deal if I was to go straight to the source and handle the export myself. I was told so..... I was told that the potential discount is worth the trip over the short and long term.
    I am 100% certain you are going to get taken advantage of. You walk, talk and sound like a newbie and they are going to see you coming miles away...

The people who get the best deals are:
    a) ones that know the industry well
    b) ones that buy in bulk and have done so for many years
    c) ones that have high degree of expertise in the commodity you are dealing with.
    You have none of those qualities and your naivete will work to your financial detriment.
    chungchungalice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    China has VAT as well as export subsidy for many products. No idea if these phones are subject to VAT nor any idea if they are eligible for export subsidies....

Eventhough I know next to nothing about these phones, I know enough not to expect to get the best deal by walking around SZ looking for them.
    It's 4am now my side of the globe, but before I get some sleep I just have to ask, how is it possible for my worst case scenario to be me getting taken for all the money I have?

I'm not entering Shenzhen with any large amount of money, just enough for cab fare.

It will be COD, supplier will bring it to my hotel in HK during the day, I'm staying at an American chain hotel, I'd like to think the hotel lobby is a secure location to make the transaction.

I'm willing to bet for said amount of money and a concrete agreement for a meeting place I'll encounter a supplier in SEG plaza who will bring the phones to me in HK. How they get them across isn't my concern, their Chinese citizens they know the ropes.

Lastly, COD means COD, I'll inspect the goods, and their packaging, open up 1 or 2 phones at random and make sure their in working order before any money changes hands.

As far as exporting them myself, I've fired off an email to DHL HK and the Airline I'm flying in regards to IATA regulations and how best to meet them.

And in regards to VAT or any other duty, there is a permit for that, it costs about $20USD, it will allow me to take "radio devices" in large quantity out of HK.

It is important for me to know the root of your concerns because if they are valid I need to properly address them now. I do appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 23-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.

I'm 100% certain I can get a better deal if I was to go straight to the source and handle the export myself. I was told so......
    You don't buy at source though. I doubt that with that quantity you can deal directly with Coolpad, Lenovo, Xiaomi, Maizu etc.

To get a rough price idea you can check for whatever you are looking for at Taobao.com

I highly recommend to stick to the well know China brands.

Doesn't matter if they are branded phones or not, this is going to fail. For freight, with lithium batteries you need a MSDS certificate from the manufacturer of the battery. Good luck with that:

1. It's going to be some obscure Chinese manufacturer for the battery.

2. These Chinese brand don't even intend to sell in other markets.

3. Regulations? This is China!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    You don't buy at source though. I doubt that with that quantity you can deal directly with Coolpad, Lenovo, Xiaomi, Maizu etc.

To get a rough price idea you can check for whatever you are looking for at Taobao.com

I highly recommend to stick to the well know China brands.
    Xiaomi is one of my target brands. I have prices in mind for certain models I've researched but I'll definitely check out Taobao.com as well. Thanks.

From my understanding SEG is a huge electronics marketplace with mom/pop merchants who sell all types of electronics. These "mom/pop" merchants have their connections to the factories where these goods are made, some of them are even reps. Finding a merchant at SEG plaza and telling them I'm in need of 200-300 Xiaomi phones for "x" amount doesn't seem impossible to me. Especially when I inform them that I will be coming back to deal with them multiple times a year to restock. I think I'll have some success as long as the prices are right.

It's 4am now my side of the globe, but before I get some sleep I just have to ask, how is it possible for my worst case scenario to be me getting taken for all the money I have?

I'm not entering Shenzhen with any large amount of money, just enough for cab fare.

It will be COD, supplier will bring it to my hotel in HK during the day, I'm staying at an American chain hotel, I'd like to think the hotel lobby is a secure location to make the transaction.

I'm willing to bet for said amount of money and a concrete agreement for a meeting place I'll encounter a supplier in SEG plaza who will bring the phones to me in HK. How they get them across isn't my concern, their Chinese citizens they know the ropes.

Lastly, COD means COD, I'll inspect the goods, and their packaging, open up 1 or 2 phones at random and make sure their in working order before any money changes hands.

As far as exporting them myself, I've fired off an email to DHL HK and the Airline I'm flying in regards to IATA regulations and how best to meet them.

And in regards to VAT or any other duty, there is a permit for that, it costs about $20USD, it will allow me to take "radio devices" in large quantity out of HK.

It is important for me to know the root of your concerns because if they are valid I need to properly address them now. I do appreciate your feedback.
    Do you know how naive you sound?

Why would any supplier deliver a batch of goods to you, a person and company they have never dealt with and has never met before, not paying anything up front, to deliver a the goods to another country, to have to go through border controls, to deliver at a HOTEL address? No one is going to care if it's an American hotel, it's a hotel, where the occupants are not permanent. What're you going to do when they ask for a delivery address? Flash the hotel business card??!!?

bibbju, emx and chungchungalice like this.

Use google, there are countless cases.
    I've said my bit already - no point beating a dead horse. I dont know enough about the cellphone market to give you anything more specific.

What I can see is someone who is new & naive, with 25K, hell bent on avoiding talking to the professionals for fear of not getting the best deal; someone who thinks you are learn the intricacies of an industry from message boards and a few google searches. My level of confidence in the success of this is low; but no matter - good luck with your chosen path.
    chungchungalice likes this.

These "mom/pop" merchants have their connections to the factories where these goods are made
    Yeah, sure. I hear that every day. I doubt they even know where the factory is.

A little hint: you can not buy below Taobao prices in China. SEG will be certainly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Do you know how naive you sound?

Why would any supplier deliver a batch of goods to you, a person and company they have never dealt with and has never met before, not paying anything up front, to deliver a the goods to another country, to have to go through border controls, to deliver at a HOTEL address? No one is going to care if it's an American hotel, it's a hotel, where the occupants are not permanent. What're you going to do when they ask for a delivery address? Flash the hotel business card??!!?

I contacted a supplier last night who I found on Alibaba who is based in Zhejiang, the seller was verified and said they were willing to meet me in HK with the goods whenever I arrived, the agreed to this after ONE SKYPE session. The only reason why I'm continuing to look is because I think I can do better on the price. I didnt think the seller agreeing to meet me in Hong Kong was a big deal until I saw how far away Zhejiang was.

Again, I don't think this will be an issue for someone as close as Shenzhen.

I came here looking for informed opinions, not baseless guesses. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Use google, there are countless cases.
    I've said my bit already - no point beating a dead horse. I dont know enough about the cellphone market to give you anything more specific.

What I can see is someone who is new & naive, with 25K, hell bent on avoiding talking to the professionals for fear of not getting the best deal; someone who thinks you are learn the intricacies of an industry from message boards and a few google searches. My level of confidence in the success of this is low; but no matter - good luck with your chosen path.
    "Professionals" LOL. I didn't know they were professionals who bought and sold electronic goods in China/HK and were experts in getting them to foreign countries. I didn't know this endeavor was akin to turning pro in a sport or graduating and entering a career field. "Professionals" LOL.

I don't know, this doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
    I still don't see how it's possible to get robbed of money that won't leave my hotel.
    You're just lobbing baseless opinions now.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast