Like Tree50Likes

No hot water in kitchen

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Maybe I should start a poll to see how many people using the forums here have hot water in the kitchen, but I don't know how to.

Chipster, I think what the agent should have said is that it is not uncommon for kitchens to have no hot water. You're never going to get a definite percentage. All you now know is not to listen to Imparonic and that many flats don't have hot water.

You're not going to change anything by getting definite figures (I don't even know how you would - the homes people from geo live in probably isn't representative of HK's homes in general either). You've been offered a flat with no hot water in the kitchen so it is up to you to decide whether or not you can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    You've been offered a flat with no hot water in the kitchen so it is up to you to decide whether or not you can live with it.
    and this is from the super-sekret landlord that doesnt wants to remain in hiding, right ?
    iliketurtles likes this.

Hot water in the kitchen is viewed as a big luxury in HK, and many new builds still does not have inbuilt kitchen hot water. It is up to the owners to install kitchen boilers if they want that luxury.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Does strike me as strange that the ability to clean crockery and cutlery with anything approaching a sensible level of hygiene is considered "luxury". When hand washing stuff I have always used rubber gloves to enable the hottest water possible in the washing up bowl! Weird.

Katherine, I have no evidence to back up the following statement, but I suspect that there isn't a huge amount of difference in terms of cleaning bateria between cleaning at 20oC and, say, 60oC. Happy for someone to prove me wrong though. That said, we wash up with adding boiling water over the crockery etc.

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    ...clean crockery and cutlery with anything approaching a sensible level of hygiene...
    When doing dishes, soap does the cleaning, not the heat. The heat helps by softening the grease and particles but if you use enough elbow grease and repetition, the results are pretty close.

As for hygiene : ask your hiker/biker/camping friends how often they get sick from eating using plates & utensils that have not touched hot water
    Cold dishwashing is really not that bad...
    gunsnroses and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I have no evidence to back up the following statement, but HC does.
    FTFY.

Here you go:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0226131510.htm
    iliketurtles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Interesting. But they were dipping their stuff into sanitisers as well - certainly don't do that at home!

I was surprised that we had a separate water heater for our back kitchen. As for hot water for washing dishes, well there is a dishwasher for that.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast