Like Tree62Likes

My assistant resigned today

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    She's half Aboriginal you fool INXS lol
    Congratulations you fool jimbo lol

Actually, I was aiming for bigger fish with that one but you'll do...
    Last edited by INXS; 04-04-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    At the danger of offending some kiwis here, I always felt Aussies just seem a bit more tolerant and comfortable living in a multicultural community than the NZers. I'm not saying Kiwis are xenophobic or hostile to foreigners in any way (clearly they are not), but it just seem to me Aussies tend to be just a little bit more relaxed about dealing with people of different cultures.

I'm not really sure why, I haven't been to Aussie Land enough times to know the reason. Maybe Aussie Land is simply a bigger country and hence more exposed to different cultures? Beats me.

P.S-I like NZ (its a beautiful country) with its friendly Kiwis and I'm sure Auckland is a very multicultural city, but compared to Aussies, I just still find Aussies to be more experienced with different cultures, that's all I'm saying.

I think I know exactly what you mean, in a nutshell... GORE, that place is seriously farked up, and not surprising why people from that area of NZ are called, Gorons .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I think I know exactly what you mean, in a nutshell... GORE, that place is seriously farked up, and not surprising why people from that area of NZ are called, Gorons .
    I know the historical context was different, etc, etc, etc. I know it's not perfect...

BUT...I was very pleased to see the Maoris in New Zealand running businesses, working in shops and in charge of tourism.

A far cry from the situation in Australia.

I know, different cultures, etc, etc.

I'm just saying, so different...New Zealand is doing that better.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    My assistant's wife who is a mainland Chinese couldn't stand living in HK after studying her Masters in Journalism here from the discrimination she felt and bombarded daily from TV and newspapers calling all mainland Chinese people corrupt savages stealing babies and locusts. Now she's left for Australia and taking her husband with her.

I'm sure some sick people will rejoice that a mainland Chinese person has left Hong Kong but I hope they know they are also dragging young talent out with them as well to Australia that's welcoming them with open arms as professional immigrants. I hope those myopic people are happy when they stand alone as they finally "reclaimed" Hong Kong all to themselves.
    The locals haven't realized this...you better keep quiet or they will blame the mainlanders for making HK unwelcoming for young talents.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'm slightly puzzled by this- on the one hand you seem to be saying that people should be not be discriminated against ethnic background, but at the same time you're saying that Chinese people should stick together because they're of the same ethnic group?
    Expecting people who share similar public holidays and skin colour to have the same shared societal values seems just as discriminatory as people who shout abuse at people who are different.

Unfortunately the 'anti-mainlander' sentiment just seems the result of failed government policies of handing over immigration controls to Beijing who have chosen to flood HK with low quality tourists and pour more and more low quality migrants into the new territories. This may be successfully assimilating Hong Kong into China but unfortunately it gives Hong Kong citizens a skewed view of what mainland tourists and immigrants can offer the city. Perhaps if the HK gov had kept control of its borders then they could have gone for quality over quantity and people would welcome mainland migrants as they would more likely be adding ability to the city rather than diluting it. Then new migrants to Hong Kong would probably be admired rather than disliked.

Giving up immigration with an asymmetric agreement - Beijing chooses who from HK can visit the mainland (no one who could further political reform) and who from the mainland can move to Hong Kong (low quality seems better) is not a good situation for the city and breeds resentment.
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-04-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    bookblogger, jaykay and quirksome like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I know the historical context was different, etc, etc, etc. I know it's not perfect...

BUT...I was very pleased to see the Maoris in New Zealand running businesses, working in shops and in charge of tourism.

A far cry from the situation in Australia.

I know, different cultures, etc, etc.

I'm just saying, so different...New Zealand is doing that better.
    How is this "a far cry" from Australia? I've met plenty of people in Aus with different ethnic backgrounds running their own businesses etc. No Maoris in Aus but certainly some Aboriginals.

One of the things I really like about Australia is that people are proud to say that they're Australian. You don't get all the Italian-Australian (grandpa ate a pizza once) or Celtic-Texan etc bullsh*t like you would in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    How is this "a far cry" from Australia? I've met plenty of people in Aus with different ethnic backgrounds running their own businesses etc. No Maoris in Aus but certainly some Aboriginals.

One of the things I really like about Australia is that people are proud to say that they're Australian. You don't get all the Italian-Australian (grandpa ate a pizza once) or Celtic-Texan etc bullsh*t like you would in the US.

Following on from Bibiju's and INXS's posts......

Majority of street side shops in Melbourne/Victoria are run by non Anglo Australian immigrants. Be it the corner milk bar, the DJ pro audio shop, local bakery etc which traditionally would have been owned by continental & Mediterranean family's. Things have certainly changed a lot more recently, businesses that my fellow WOGS pretty much held the high ground with, are now being run by Vietnamese and Chinese folks. Bakeries, local milk bars and take away fish n chip shops, are all run by these ethnic communities now, not the Greeks, the Maltese, the Turks, Macedonians or the Italians who used to champion those businesses. Different waves of immigrants = immediate changes and influences while that's happening.

As to indigenous people in Melbourne, sure you would be very hard pressed to find any unless you really made an effort to find them. They usually hung out in St Kilda at the park right on the pavilion and Fitzroy near the housing commission flats there. As I said they were there, but very much in the back ground by there own choice in my opinion.

Comparing Aboriginals with the Maori people is almost impossible, because culturally you are dealing with a COMPLETELY different people and cultural mindset.
    Look at how the Maori kicked the British military's arse in combat, with far superior (tribal ) trench warfare techniques that really taught the Brits a stern lesson, not to fuck with the Maori, and better to just write up a treaty and by default award full indigenous rights to their native land early on. Australia via the British military ( early on ) was seriously, one big turkey shoot. The Maori were a very well versed fighting people, decisions were literally made under a " I'll fight you for it " policy, the Aboriginals were just not like that nor were they physically as strong or as smart. If the Maori had managed to find Australia I would bet my left nut, that things would have been quite different as they would have been the dominant species, likely wiping out the Abo's.

I am fully aware of the issues that Abo's face, and I can tell you, throwing huge amounts of cash at them ( like all australian tax payers do ) doesnt work either. Remember these people don't have to work for a living, they can quite happily live on their $700net ( its probably more today ) per week special indigenous dole money, be given free housing, which they dig up the floor boards and burn outside for fire wood ! Which is cool lol

It took the Australian govt a while to realise that Aboriginal people like to live OUTSIDE, which is how they live up north, under large metal lean to's. And they're happy living that way.

We're cool with the Abo's bro, unless they whinge, complain, bitch and moan about shit they cant do anything about, or I wouldn't like them either. I have a universal 'cant stand whingers ' rule, lucky for me, they don't do that
    Last edited by Skyhook; 05-04-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    INXS likes this.

I don't know if you misunderstood my post or have little experience of either country. (Not being rude, just saying.)

When I went to New Zealand I was pleasantly surprised. The backpacker hostel we stayed at in Auckland was run by Maoris and we noticed many shops as well...this was repeated throughout the country and much of the tourism was managed by Maori people.

In Australia, aboriginals are easy to find in cities...just head for the nearest park and there'll be a group under a tree drinking. That's a fact!!! It is extremely rare to find aboriginal business owners, not saying they don't exist. I knew an aboriginal policeman and some of our greatest sporting heroes are of aboriginal descent, Cathy Freeman springs to mind jimbo lol.

Maori involvement in NZ society vs. Aboriginal fringe dwelling...it's completely different.

I generally agree with Skyhook's assessment about chucking money at the aboriginal people in Oz. but I am hoping that as they have the opportunity to be lifted out of poverty they'll come to have greater respect for other people's property. I don't mean that in a bad way...it's better for everyone right?
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I don't know if you misunderstood my post or have little experience of either country. (Not being rude, just saying.)

When I went to New Zealand I was pleasantly surprised. The backpacker hostel we stayed at in Auckland was run by Maoris and we noticed many shops as well...this was repeated throughout the country and much of the tourism was managed by Maori people.

In Australia, aboriginals are easy to find in cities...just head for the nearest park and there'll be a group under a tree drinking. That's a fact!!! It is extremely rare to find aboriginal business owners, not saying they don't exist. I knew an aboriginal policeman and some of our greatest sporting heroes are of aboriginal descent, Cathy Freeman springs to mind jimbo lol.

Maori involvement in NZ society vs. Aboriginal fringe dwelling...it's completely different.

I generally agree with Skyhook's assessment about chucking money at the aboriginal people in Oz. but I am hoping that as they have the opportunity to be lifted out of poverty they'll come to have greater respect for other people's property. I don't mean that in a bad way...it's better for everyone right?
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post! Yes I have experience of both countries. Most recently (March) I was in Melbourne staying with an Aussie friend in St Kilda to meet a small business owner and I was in Auckland (twice) in March again meeting with small business owners. I don't disagree with anything you've written above except I personally know several Abo business owners (in NSW). From my perspective, the discussion was actually about people from different ethnic backgrounds rather than specifically Abos or Maoris. I mentioned Abos purely as the indigenous people for Aus since you referred to Maoris specifically. Perhaps the reason you used Maoris as your example was because NZ is hardly a hotbed of multiculturalism and that was the only alternative ethnic background you had experience of?
    Skyhook likes this.

Perhaps the reason you used Maoris as your example was because NZ is hardly a hotbed of multiculturalism and that was the only alternative ethnic background you had experience of?
    Hi all, been reading the forums for a while and wanted to chime in. Interesting topic but have to disagree (in part) with bibbju's statement. Comparatively to Australia you're probably right in assuming that NZ as a whole may not be as ethnically diverse but on a regional level it's there.

Auckland has the largest Polynesian population in the world. The stats from the last census in fact show that the fastest growing ethnic group(s) are Asian followed closely by Maori and Polynesian. There have been many studies pointing to the 'browning' of Auckland. In fact the second most spoken language after English is Samoan.

I'm not an expert on Australia and it's cultural makeup but know enough to say that in my opinion, comparatively speaking…..Maori vs Aboriginal rights whatever that means are vastly different. I think a good indicator of a nations cultural makeup should't be confined to just who owns a business.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast