Like Tree2Likes

IP security cameras - recording onto NAS drive

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone looked into installing video surveillance at their home?

Not looking for a system with a separate digital video recorder but just one that works over the existing WiFi and keeps the last X days on an existing NAS.

Not for home but for the office.

Ip wifi cameras are fairly expensive and not very reliable. We just installed a 8 camera CCTV with a 2tb hdd for $2500. 8 wifi cams are about $3200

I've used a WiFi cam as baby monitor for a while, first a cheap one (~$500) then a more expensive one (~$2000). Wifi didn't work well on both, even after repositioning. Sometimes it would just disconnect and not automatically reconnect to Wifi etc or hang, I couldn't login remotely to reboot and so forth, only physical power cycle on-site would help. When I went to a cable it was all good.

Last edited by 100LL; 21-04-2014 at 09:35 AM.

I have 4 wifi cameras (got 3 of them cheap on the other classifieds site).
    They run over wifi just fine.
    I also have a poor man's NAS (just a USB HDD attached to my router)

The router has an FTP server and the webcams (DLINK and FOSCAM) have the ability to write to FTP (either continuously or when motion/sound is detected)

Works well!
    When I'm monitoring remotely, I use this terrific (and I rarely use that word) app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lexvas.dvr.pro

Check the software function too. I would look for:

Video motion sensoring - so you only record if something going on.

If you use an external alarm trigger: Pre-alarm recording function (which records from i.e. 10 Minutes BEFORE an alarm is triggered)

If it's a home NAS, check if you can access the latest videos remotely. If you are DSL, that my not be really possible due to the pathetic DSL upload rate.

East_coast likes this.

Thanks for all the comments.

Only need 2x camera so not really looking for remote viewing (watching an empty balcony and the back side of a front door is somewhat dull) but the Android program does look good.

I have a Western Digital NAS drive (awful) that seems to lack the right software to easily set-up a DVR system. Will look a little deeper.

I wouldn't rely on the NAS to handle the DVR stuff, rely on the camera to do that.
    Treat the NAS as a "dumb" drive, i.e. just a place to store data

Original Post Deleted
    It is just for security when on business trips for a few days to a week. So a motion sensor that activates the camera should mean a couple of Gb is all that is needed for good resolution video.

Given technology that exists it would seem the below should be offered but isn't yet

- IP Camera with
    • - Motion sensor activation
    • - night vision
    • - small amount of on-board memory e.g. 8Gb
    • - Wifi enabled
    • - link to common cloud storage e.g. OneDrive, Drop Box, Google drive
    • - Back-up to the designated cloud when connected to wifi
    • - Remote access via apps

All that is needed is for existing technology to have a slot for an SD card and a little bit of software with the right protocols to allow link and transfer of files to common cloud storage facilities and hey presto a secure offline off site home surveillance system at very low price.

I will wait X months until some company in China comes up with such a product.

Some of these web cameras have just that. An SD card slot, and a web interface to define the settings for motion detect, how long you want to record, etc

Also some cheap ones. Go to Golden Arcade with a little bit of $$$ and you will come back with what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Some of these web cameras have just that. An SD card slot, and a web interface to define the settings for motion detect, how long you want to record, etc

Also some cheap ones. Go to Golden Arcade with a little bit of $$$ and you will come back with what you need.
    But not linked to a common cloud storage providers that I can see.

I was going to link to a NAS drive but it would mean buying a new one and getting rid of the awful Western Digital thing I have now. I will wait a few months until they come out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast