Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 115 of 195 FirstFirst ... 107 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 123 ... LastLast

By this logic of saying the winners of the US league are world champions, couldn't we rename the world cup as the Milky Way Cup?

Sure the US league might be the best but it is hilariously American to hype up the name to something more than it is.

Back to the football... I'm really excited about the midnight match tonight. I like Chile, but hope Brazil go through as i would love a Brazil Argentina final.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 28-06-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    elle and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    By this logic of saying the winners of the US league are world champions, couldn't we rename the world cup as the Milky Way Cup?

Sure the US league might be the best but it is hilariously American to hype up the name to something more than it is.
    Why is it more than it is? Just like the World Cup, the best players in the world compete in the NBA & MLB. I honestly don't see the big deal in calling them world champions when they inarguably are the best players in the world competing.

Best players in the WORLD competing in a league ... what would you call the winner?

It's a global league...not a US league.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Let's get back to World cup talk. TOM! Please save this thread

Tom007 and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Let's get back to World cup talk. TOM! Please save this thread

Agreed. Let's get back to World Cup.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Tom007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    Yes, I agree that Portugal aren't a great side, but on paper they should be better than the US. Ghana should be better than the US too. So it's job very well done to get out of that group!

Pre tournament did you have the US coming out of that group? Not many did.
    True not many but they did believe right from the start. Think the US team has an incredible spirit with a very strong believe. Sounds stereotype and won't help always but check out I.e. Ghana, Portugal. Some top class players but it didn't work. Don't want to mention Pepe here but we all know why the game ended 0:4 vs Germany and that score line was decisive at the end. Well and Ghana?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...teng-suspended

For the USA it ain't over yet and they certainly have their chances vs Belgium. That's not an uber team by any means and it's only one single game. No second chance. Just have read that Vincent Kompany and Thomas Vermaelen are doubtful. That would be a major blow and would surely help the USA a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Last edited by Tom007; 28-06-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Why is it more than it is? Just like the World Cup, the best players in the world compete in the NBA & MLB. I honestly don't see the big deal in calling them world champions when they inarguably are the best players in the world competing.

Best players in the WORLD competing in a league ... what would you call the winner?

It's a global league...not a US league.
    Probably because baseball and basketball are really not all that popular outside the US yet football is the most popular sport by far in almost every other country in the world!!

By your logic, the winners of the European Champions League should be called World Series champions as these are the best players in the world competing for the trophy!

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    So you think that the NBA & MLB have teams from only one nation?

If you are going to be snarky, I suggest you at least get your facts straight
    Go easy on Elle, what does a BRIT know about American (or Canadian) sports? At least in Canada and US, we are still good at the sports we invented (hockey and basketball), unlike a certain little island off the coast of continental Europe.

Getting back to World Cup, referring to the earlier point by Heisenberg (aka Walter White), many teams look good on paper, but its how they actually perform that matters, not what their FIFA ranking is or what players are on their roster. Which made me wonder, which traditional football power will be eliminated next?

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Probably because baseball and basketball are really not all that popular outside the US yet football is the most popular sport by far in almost every other country in the world!!

By your logic, the winners of the European Champions League should be called World Series champions as these are the best players in the world competing for the trophy!

You must be joking right? Basketball is damn popular around the world. Why do you think there are so many international players in the NBA otherwise? Baseball a little less so, but is still played by many countries around the world, and is especially popular around the Caribbean, some South American countries and Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

Just because its not a sport invented by the Brits does not mean it is not globally popular.
    closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You must be joking right? Basketball is damn popular around the world. Why do you think there are so many international players in the NBA otherwise? Baseball a little less so, but is still played by many countries around the world, and is especially popular around the Caribbean, some South American countries and Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

Just because its not a sport invented by the Brits does not mean it is not globally popular.
    Ok, fair enough. Basketball is popular but nowhere near as popular as football. As for baseball, you do know the original form was invented by the English, right?

Last edited by statman; 28-06-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Ok, fair enough. Basketball is popular (mainly for playing rather than watching) but nowhere near as popular as football. As for baseball, you do know the original form was invented by the English, right?

Oh don't get me started on that whole "whether-rounders-was-ancestry-to-baseball" debate, we'll go on for 30 pages on that. Let's just say that matter is not settled and there are good arguments for saying rounders did not create baseball.

Speaking of the Americans, I am increasingly rooting for them to go far in this World Cup. Probably won't get too far, but I hope they do, hahaha.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.