Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 133 of 195 FirstFirst ... 125 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 141 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The worst final, imo, would be USA vs Russia.

Watercooler and Tom007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Surely no way either team can get into the final...can they?
    Tom007 likes this.

Given that the Russian didn't make out of group and the US likely has the toughest path to the finals with Belgium, Argentina and the Netherlands in their path to the finals, you don't have to worry.

Tough year for Russia in international sport with their dismal performance in Olympic hockey and early World Cup exit.
    closedcasket and Tom007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Given that the Russian didn't make out of group and the US likely has the toughest path to the finals with Belgium, Argentina and the Netherlands in their path to the finals, you don't have to worry.

Tough year for Russia in international sport with their dismal performance in Olympic hockey and early World Cup exit.
    Oops! I though Russia had gotten through. Haven't been closely following it over the past 4 or 5 days.
    Tom007 and huja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:

Well the Russians were never a really strong football power. Maybe a middling one. They are not weak, but never good enough to break out into the ranks of the top football powers. So the fact they are eliminated isn't a huge surprise.

The same can't be said for hockey. Russia has an illustrious history in the sport with many gold medals (as the USSR), not to mention a good number of Russian players in the NHL. But I don't think they could really gel as a team these days, they act like prima donnas when they are on their national team.

Oops! I though Russia had gotten through. Haven't been closely following it over the past 4 or 5 days.
    Happens, especially when your home team is out...

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Well the Russians were never a really strong football power. Maybe a middling one. They are not weak, but never good enough to break out into the ranks of the top football powers. So the fact they are eliminated isn't a huge surprise.
    Except for the 1960s when they were probably one of the best teams in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Happens, especially when your home team is out...
    One's home team was never really 'in'. One suspects they just went along for the jollies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Except for the 1960s when they were probably one of the best teams in the world.
    The same could said for England, and they are arguably in a stronger position in the 1960's since they did win a World Cup. The Russians never could.

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Just wondering Tom, how much did you pay for that TVB world cup package?
    Not 100% sure tbh. Gotta check but something like 168 additional HK$ ( early bird special rate you know ) ;-) I subscribed during the Winter Olympics - TVB Network Vision as they told me the World Cup will be included later in June :-) :-) But of coz once the football is over, I'm doomed enjoying a pretty useless TV package for quite some time :-(

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Last edited by Tom007; 30-06-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.