Getting online in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Getting online in Hong Kong

Hi, everyone; I'm Andy from London, UK.

I'll be in town next month and will bring along my lil' netbook with me. As I'll be staying in some villagey place in Fanling, New Territories, I just want to know what my options are for getting online.

I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time in a place that offers free Wi-Fi like a coffeehouse or perhaps a library/internet café. Are there any especially good places that anyone recommends?
    A Wi-Fi hotspot based in Fanling would be nice, but I don't mind if there's any as far as Mong Kok or Kowloon as I'll probably be out exploring and shopping around those areas more or less every day anyways.

The building I'm staying in has a telephone line, and I know this is a stretch, but would there be a short term plan I could sign up for to connect to a broadband service out there?

Thanks.

There's always a way, but what's your budget? Does your device have the means to take a 3G wireless network card? Without a contract then about HK$2500 down and $500/month would get you Netvigator Everywhere

That looks like a perfect solution, but I forgot to mention I'm only staying for about two months, so that would be a little pricey.

I have a Samsung NC10 by the way, if that helps.

A number of public phone boxes have PCCW wifi - there may even be one close to you. You can sign up for short term pccw plans (from "give your credit card number every time to connect" type to something more sensible). try this link for info PCCW Wi-Fi wireless broadband

PCCW is also the provider in the Pacific Coffee coffee shops (jolly expensive coffee though!) and a number of other wifi hotspots around town.

Free Gov Wifi locations are here:

GovWiFi: GovWiFi Locator

Just checked out that link and it looks like the best option for me, thanks for the help! (MovingIn07, but rani as well!)

Also, if anybody really wants to answer, what is the weather in Hong Kong usually like in January?

Last edited by AndyW; 17-12-2008 at 09:02 AM.

All the climate information you could possibly want about HK here: Climatological Information Services

If you are coming from London, where it is currently *&&^ freezing, you will think it's delightful!

The locals, however, will be wearing fur coats and woolly hats.

I'd bring a light jumper and a light coat, but no need for hat or gloves!

Thanks, PDLM.

And to MovingIn07: haha, perhaps the locals just seize the chance to put on fashionable wintery attire even though it's still freakin' double figures (celsius) out.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyW:
    And to MovingIn07: haha, perhaps the locals just seize the chance to put on fashionable wintery attire even though it's still freakin' double figures (celsius) out.
    Nope - if you ask them they tell you it's really cold outside....! Pretty funny actually.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast