Where to get a good knife in HK????

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to get a good knife in HK????

Somebody please help!!!! It's almost Christmas and I still haven't found a good kitchen knife for my husband. I'm looking to buy a good quality knife for chopping veggies/ cutting meat but would like to buy the whole set over the next year. So what I need to find, is a place in HK that sells sets of knives but knives that can be purchased seperately. Any ideas??? I checked out WingOn but they only had one good quality type. Are there any other places or specialty shops out there?

Merry Christmas,

The place for catering equipment is Shanghai Street in TST - many shops there.

Or, if you're being lazy and prepared to pay a big premium, then the Pan Handler in the Prince's Building.

Why not just buy him a block of knives from Wing On. Go on, splash out on a set of Hennkel's knives. You will never regret it and he will be a happy man.

IMO the Japanese make the best kitchen knives. Check out Sogo's selection.

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out Sogo's for sure. We agreed on an amount of money to spend on each other this Christmas so unfortunately I can't really 'go all out' on a block of knives.
    Merry Christmas!

Sogo has a very nice large selection of knives but they are a bit overpriced. More importantly, the staff there are general sales staff and are not that experienced with knives.

If you are going to visit Sogo, I would suggest taking a 10 minute walk to my favorite knife shop. Same brands are available from a very knowledgable shopowner, usually at better prices. If you are making substantial purchase, bargain bargain bargain.

Get out of Sogo on the Hennesy Road side and walk towards Central staying on the North Side of Hennesy.
    You will pass Percival Street, The fire Station, Canal Road (the overpass) and then cross Marsh Road. As soon as you are on the other side of Marsh, you will be in a corner with a very old pawn shop. Keep walking another 4-5 shops, and you will come to a very well stocked Knife/Scissor shop full of cutting instruments.

Try not to play with the huge cleavers and swords :-)

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Sogo has a very nice large selection of knives but they are a bit overpriced. More importantly, the staff there are general sales staff and are not that experienced with knives.

If you are going to visit Sogo, I would suggest taking a 10 minute walk to my favorite knife shop. Same brands are available from a very knowledgable shopowner, usually at better prices. If you are making substantial purchase, bargain bargain bargain.

Get out of Sogo on the Hennesy Road side and walk towards Central staying on the North Side of Hennesy.
    You will pass Percival Street, The fire Station, Canal Road (the overpass) and then cross Marsh Road. As soon as you are on the other side of Marsh, you will be in a corner with a very old pawn shop. Keep walking another 4-5 shops, and you will come to a very well stocked Knife/Scissor shop full of cutting instruments.

Try not to play with the huge cleavers and swords :-)

HC
    SCW Cutlery is an absolute ripoff for most items. The only thing I buy there is disposable blades for my straight razor. If you want a MUCH better price, buy online. It's worth reading reviews to figure out which one sounds right for you. Some of their US-made knives are more than $500 HK over US retail prices.

I'm in the camp that thinks people really need only three knives: a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated carving knife. No need for fancy sets.

I also think that you should consider taking your husband with you when you shop for one. It's the kind of thing you want to try out before buying. Ideally, he'd be able to try it out on a cutting surface, but he at least needs to be able to hold it. Nothing worse than an uncomfortable knife.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by grammargirl:
    I'm in the camp that thinks people really need only three knives: a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated carving knife. No need for fancy sets.

I also think that you should consider taking your husband with you when you shop for one. It's the kind of thing you want to try out before buying. Ideally, he'd be able to try it out on a cutting surface, but he at least needs to be able to hold it. Nothing worse than an uncomfortable knife.
    Agree, though having a heavy cleaver comes in handy too

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Agree, though having a heavy cleaver comes in handy too
    As well as a machete, pocket knife, Leatherman and bowie.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast