Like Tree211Likes

Little things we like about Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

My office is in an old walk-up building, and it's not a problem that the postboxes have no locks, because there are only six of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    My office is in an old walk-up building, and it's not a problem that the postboxes have no locks, because there are only six of them.
    No locks?!? Good thing it's in HK. Had it been in NYC, you wouldn't see your mail/packages.

After a little more investigation, and like booklogger the building only has 6 mailboxes, the post gets screwed mainly because of the building number. We have an 'A' added onto our building number, so it's xxA. Not a problem normally, but the building doesn't have a sign saying this. Adjacent buildings aren't clearly marked either. I'm not too sure if this is a HK or an old building in HK screw up thing.

challene likes this.

At least in HK, if the wrong mail ends up in your mailbox, at least most people are kind enough to place it in the right mailbox. In Canada, people just cross out the address and dump it back in the mailbox and it gets sent back to sender.

... submitting a "complaint" to the government via iPhone app, together with photo, GPS coordinates and a few other details, just to find out it's all been taken care of efficiently and reported back by responsible civil servants within days.

(as a few days ago with trash dumped in public)

Last edited by 100LL; 22-09-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    hongkong7, HK_Katherine and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I thought it might be fun to start thread about the little, less talked about things in Hong Kong that we appreciate. Things that are surprisingly nice. Not the normal things we all appreciate, like safety, rule of law, low taxes, public transport, proximity to travel destinations etc.

For me, I am always amazed/impressed in regards to how the locals treat children. I came here with no kids...now I have two. I'm always impressed with the care and attention locals give to all children. Sometimes in the west, I feel like adults regard children as a burden or a nuisance. Not here, the locals in HK seem to have a genuine affinity and enjoyment towards children that I don't sense back home.
    Are you serious? I've never seen children so moddlecoddled...so spoilt...so overprotected...so pampered and mothered in my life.

Because HK isn't so shrouded in health and safety regulations, I can bring my own Glasslock/reusable containers to restaurants for take away and they never complained at all! Really lovely!

No age discrimination!

Being able to walk down your apt and visit 7/11 at 4 am. In the UK it is a whole different story....

wtbhotia and 100LL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimUK:
    Being able to walk down your apt and visit 7/11 at 4 am. In the UK it is a whole different story....
    Not sure I really understand this one. Have you never lived near 7/11 before? In the UK they're open at 4am, just like HK.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast