Like Tree13Likes

Which wifi router?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Wow. You going to be hitting some seriously shady pron sites or something?
    Talking from experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Talking from experience?
    Why do you think I got the router I presently have?

Basically because now my computer will be attached to the interwebs (which it rarely is now) via the router, along with the other stuff.

Against the usual stuff: malware, viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware. Also protect against network attacks, unknown devices, suspicious applications... But I'm only surmising...
    As long as you backup your stuff, preferably with Time Machine, then there's no need to worry. If shit happens, restore and off you go.

As for malware, trials, etc. All you need to do is be careful what files you open. Malware occurs from time to time, especially stuff like Mackeeper, just be careful what you click in the browser, and there are ways to remove it manually, I've done 3 cases of this in the last few months.

With a Mac, don't bother with anti virus software, it just shows down the mac and cause all sorts of issues. Software updates can screw up your system with anti virus installed. Loads of people experiencing update issues from Mavericks to Yosemite as they had Macfee AV installed.

What's Time Machine?

Its a Blue Police box a guy called The doctor rides around in.

A backup software but I think only for apple products.

If cost is not an issue and the cuteness of the device is a factor, just get the Airport Extreme.

If you want to spend less for still acceptable performance, there are a zillion other alternatives. If you want to spend a comparable amount of money for more performance (which you do not need), or if you are a geek, there are other AC-class routers that have tested better or have more flexibility for fiddling around.

But if you want simple, reasonably fast, cute and minimal faff, and cost isn't a factor, just get the Apple option (and I write this as someone who would never again willingly buy an Apple device for personal use).

imparanoic likes this.

jgl, I use Apple (laptop, iPhone, iPad) but my other half doesn't like them. If there were to be any problems, it would be because, you know, "Apple", hence I'm looking at alternatives. I know there are people here with such knowledge.

jgl, I use Apple (laptop, iPhone, iPad) but my other half doesn't like them. If there were to be any problems, it would be because, you know, "Apple", hence I'm looking at alternatives. I know there are people here with such knowledge.
    OK, biggest question, who will set it up, who will set up all the security and all the advanced features? If it is you, get the one you are most comfortable dealing with.

If its your other half, let him/her pick it out and deal with it.

There is absolutely no point buying something with all the bells and whistles etc if you don't know how to use it. Just a waste of money.

I'm another person with the Asus N66U. It's good. It's easy to set up. It does fancy shit if I want it to.

But TBH most routers are pretty much identical if you don't demand much of them (and it seems like you've not got any weird requirements or desires to tinker).

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK, biggest question, who will set it up, who will set up all the security and all the advanced features?
    Me. Me. Me (well lets face it not the advanced features).

For our needs, which would be preferable: 900Mbps or 1300Mbps? According to the bumpf, the 900Mbps should suffice.